Crank choice for gt lighning?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Trying to plan out my gt lightning build now the stuck bb is no longer stuck.

My original plan was to do a full m952 build, but I have other options and due to being pretty indecisive, hoping for a steer from the wise rb massive.

My options are:

As new condition M952 with 5 arm, 110 bcd spider and rings.

As above, but using a ta 104 bcd spider in black, with ta chinook rings.

Same again, but nos m952 integrated spider and rings.

Nos caramba sidewinder cranks with either gold 110 bcd spider, or silver 94bcd spider. Not been able to confirm bb length needed for these, if 113, great as can use a royce ti bb I have.

Black middleburn rs7s with middleburn ti bb

Blue middleburn rs7s with same bb as above.

Silver middleburn rs7s with same bb as above.

Various ht2 modern options.

Will probably stick to the m952 gearing plan, though could go other directions ranging from m970, 9 or 10sp xo, 10sp zee, 10sp xt etc, though preference as of now is m952.

Brakes will be vs, m952, some pauls style prg vs in blue or grey, or perhaps some dx vs in red.

Thoughts and opinions please.

Last edited:
Thanks. My only concern with that is it will probably be the only silver part on the bike.

Wheels will be either ceramic crossmax or possibly hope ti glide in blue on dark mavic rims.

Post, stem and bars will be ti, possibly with ti onza bar ends (might even fit the xtr remote shifter).

Likely to be black or grey grips and saddle, tyres may also end up grey with black sidewalls, or just plain black.

Haven't ruled out going disc as it arrived with me sporting an a2z adapter but erring on the side of vs.

Forks will be some minty rc39s. Or rigid carbon (but trying to avoid creating a bike too similar to my dbr axis tt).

Trying to plan out my gt lightning build now the stuck bb is no longer stuck.

My original plan was to do a full m952 build, but I have other options and due to being pretty indecisive, hoping for a steer from the wise rb massive.

My options are:

As new condition M952 with 5 arm, 110 bcd spider and rings.

As above, but using a ta 104 bcd spider in black, with ta chinook rings.

Same again, but nos m952 integrated spider and rings.

Nos caramba sidewinder cranks with either gold 110 bcd spider, or silver 94bcd spider. Not been able to confirm bb length needed for these, if 113, great as can use a royce ti bb I have.

Black middleburn rs7s with middleburn ti bb

Blue middleburn rs7s with same bb as above.

Silver middleburn rs7s with same bb as above.

Various ht2 modern options.

Will probably stick to the m952 gearing plan, though could go other directions ranging from m970, 9 or 10sp xo, 10sp zee, 10sp xt etc, though preference as of now is m952.

Brakes will be vs, m952, some pauls style prg vs in blue or grey, or perhaps some dx vs in red.

Thoughts and opinions please.
m952,prg in grey or m952.

Last edited:
I`d go XTR.For some reason the stealthy grey really suits a GT frame IMO.I had a set of mint Turbines on my Zaskar that looked great but when I changed to M950 it looked far better.

I think I'm sold on the m952 cranks. The grey just suits a ti frame I think.

So it now comes down to whether I go 110 5 arm, the integrated outer ring/spider or the black ta 104 bcd spider with black chinook rings......

Back