Cracked windscreen

DKFan

Retro Guru
Very bizarre. Found a small crack in my windscreen yesterday morning that has grown alarmingly. I can't understand why. No impact that I'm aware of, no boiling water over iced window, nuffink! Very odd. Obvs a replacement is on the way. Insurance due on my other car and jeez, premiums have gone up. Horrid month

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    866.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 38
The windscreen is bonded into the car body. When you drive the body flex’s - not much, but enough that it will extend a crack if the original “chip” reaches the edge of the screen.

Had one on one of my cars, started as less than a inch, but a couple of drives and it was happily spreading its way across the whole windscreen.

My old fiesta van windscreen cracked from a small stone chip, quite badly after being parked in the sun for a couple of hours

Cracks starting at the edge are usually heat differential/rapid heating/cooling. Just a strong sun coming on to one side of the windscreen can cause this. Especially if it is parked the same direction and location daily then stresses will build up.
My last replacement windscreen started as a tiny chip in my eyeline, an encounter with a pigeon crossing the dual carriageway while I hit it at about 80mph turned it into a full on cobweb smash across the whole screen.
I've been throwing warm water on frozen windscreens for over 30 years and have never had a problem caused by this. The water doesn't have to be hot, boiling is asking for trouble.

Thanks for the replies - never had this before in years of driving. Can’t see any starter chip or damage and it ain’t exactly been scorchio in Wales lately. Ah well, chalk this one down to history

We had our transit camper in the garage - put it on the ramps to look underneath, when it came back down the windscreen was cracked.
Corrosion under the seal or slight distortion of the bodywork due to damage or poor assembly can put enough stress on the glass to break it.
They'll only make the glass and frame as strong as necessary to meet the regs.

The small crack means a big crack is coming.
The big crack means either loads of money or loads of hassle or both.

It's a bad sign.
Lucky bikes rarely have windscreens.
One less thing to go wrong. *

*fellow pedants:
I know this should be "one fewer thing to go wrong" but that just sounds awful.😉

On a tangent, thats a lovely Twingo. What's your review of them?

I'm thinking of getting one to play with and maybe do some track days on a budget.

The small crack means a big crack is coming.
The big crack means either loads of money or loads of hassle or both.

It's a bad sign.
Lucky bikes rarely have windscreens.
One less thing to go wrong. *

*fellow pedants:
I know this should be "one fewer thing to go wrong" but that just sounds awful.😉
That's because 'fewer' is preceding 'thing'. Swap them so that it reads, 'One thing fewer to go wrong' and we've, er, cracked it. 😁;)

Back