Covid-19 & Cycling - Living with it - Wide Discussion

Is it me or where's all the new Shimano lower / mid end road stuff gone?

Virtually no Tiagra or Sora at Wiggle, Rose, Bike-Discount, Decathlon, CRC?

bike-discount.de is giving a 6 week delivery lead-time :?

Anyone heard anything about supply shortages?

Woz":41w089nw said:

Yes, I bought everything!

:mrgreen:

Out and about yesterday on the Gates route and it was the most busy I've ever seen it in nearly 30 years of cycling that way (god, I'm old). There was even some 'wild' swimmers in the river, something I've never seen before.

One grumpy cyclist going in the opposite direction on the more isolated part and dozens of Halfords clad storm troopers and power rangers in the busier bit - me in my usual t-shirt and shorts.

So that's it. 2nd wave in mainland Europe.

As of tomorrow, if you are cycling in Paris looks like you will have to wear a mask....I mean face cover.

Here in Porto the main effect of the Covid-19 pandemic on cycling has been the creation of many protected cycle routes, including one which helpfully take me more or less the full 5 km from my front door to my office. It's just a shame I'm working from hoe at the moment, but I look forward to trying it out the next time i have an excuse to go into the office (probably when a bike part or frame next gets delivered to work, under the radar so to speak).

The other thing is it's now impossible to get any bike serviced anywhere because everybody has got their old bike out of the shed and taken it in for a service. Luckily I have several bikes, otherwise I'd be screwed waiting a couple of months to get my Ti3000 back.

On the positive side, I have the perfect excuse to go cycling more often, because I need to stay healthy, lose weight and keep the heart healthy, because having Covid 19 can be as stressful on your heart as running a marathon, and that's not considering that in some people the virus attacks the heart directly (mycarditis etc.).

Woz":2o2ex51v said:

I think the lack of long haul travel by plane is having a big effect on the supply chain world wide . Freight cargo carried on passenger fights is just not happening in the volume needed{lack of flights} . Shipping from the far east {Japan }by sea takes about 40 days .

Re:

I went into our local decathlon store yesterday and the cupboard was bare. Hardly any road bikes in stock, most were XXL or xxs. Lots of components missing on the shelves too and the bike service bay looked rammed

Re:

It's not made much difference to me.. (yet).
I couldn't think of a reason to be closer than two metres to any other human organism even before all this carowner virus shit. I mean... why would you?

Back