couriers... UK for bike boxes..literally tearing my hair out

Canny understand why they wont accept a bike box seeing as ive sent 10 of them in the last 7 years including ones made of mdf.
Bike boxes, of the type the bike originally comes in to the lbs arent small. PF transport them.
A frame is the same box cut and taped smaller :?

I'd pack it and take it to another PO and dont open your mouth about 'is this ok to send' etc. Jst say parcelforce 48 and leave the info at that.

Re:

I've had all sorts of hassle at local post office:
"we don't have space for it behind the counter"
"you'll have to leave it in the shop at your own risk"
"I'll have to scan and check it in, whats inside etc"

Still better than PF not even bothering to collect my last few 24/48hr bookings when I selected "order a label" via ebay, for over a week and phoning them daily to literally beg them to send a driver next day. Was literally driving me mad. AFter the the 3rd time I booked in this way I chose the "drop at post office" label option - and then met with some of the responses above.

I will certainly try UPS, Senditnow, Ipost Parcels and, Paisley Freight - now I know they might take boxes as big as frames & above, which the likes of Hermes and other' s don't due to overall size (not weight)

Thanks for the tips as previously I have been stuck with Parcel Force being the only one that came up on the list to send a bike box.

Dismantle the bike and zip tie the wheels to the sides placing cardboard or sponge at all the pinch points. Strap the bars to the top and place in a bike box, then chop & tape box to suit.

Have been sending them like this for ages.

Re:

I do that when I can, but through which courier do you send a slightly-thicker-than-a-frame-box dismantled and packed like that - as frame boxes are still too big for most budget UK parcel carriers.

Re:

Avoid using the eBay system where possible.

I just sent a frame in a standard bile size box, with parcel force through parcel2go, ordered Sunday eve, chose the "no printer req" option (They do the llabels) They collected monday 09.30 and was delivered 10am following day.

Never had any problems with sending frames/bikes this way.

Post offices are a pain, they wonder why people go elsewhere.
Im sure they can't refuse a parcel as long as it is correct size, and leaving it at own risk is bollards, once payed its in there trust.
Always make sure you get the full cover insurance, costs extra but if something happens to it your covered.

On that subject, I sent something once, decided I would bypass the full insurance cover option and it got damaged, couldn't claim for naff all, never a problem when choosing full cover option....

Makes you wonder......

Re:

I used to sell a lot of large items and always used parcel2go, some were heavier than the 15kg weight limit but never had a problem. Used to be DHL that collected from me and it was a 48hr delivery but 9 times outta 10 arrived next day.

Back