Cotic Soul bigger wheels

mark4765

Retro Newbie
Would it be a bad idea to try 27.5" wheels on a 26" Cotic Soul?
just received a Cotic Soul 26 frame and have 26" and 27.5" wheels available, just tried
with 27.5 x 2.25 tyre width and fits with plenty of room, what about geometry, will it
really mess it up?
I have Rockshox revelations with 85mm to 130mm adjustibiity.

Last edited:
If you've got room in the frame & fork then why not? Check and see if the tyre contacts the underside of the fork crown at full compression (let all air out the fork and compress it) as that could ruin your day if it happens out on the trail.
I've ran a few 26er frames with 27.5"/650b wheels , no problem.

it won't improve it, but it probably won't make a huge difference in the negative either. on thing it's going to change is BB height, it might get a bit tippy in the corners from the higher COG and the point you are applying pressure.

I'm going to do it to my Inbred when I can afford to buy tyres (or when I decide my tyres have had it).

Thanks for you replies, to add to this, it will be built into a commuting bike which is a mix of road and light trail, no wild off road biking.
I currently have just built a Genesis high latitude 29er with a Bafang BBS02B motor for the 14 mile commute but i have always struggled with 29er's fitting my body correctly(shorter legs). 26" wheeled bikes fitted well then when 27.5 wheeled bikes came out seemed perfect.
I am going to transfer the Bafang motor to the Cotic.
The other issue I have is that with the Bafang motor, to get a good chainline the smallest front chain ring possible is 42t, with the 29er this results in high gearing and unusable top 2 gears, I'm aware I can change the cassette but if the 27.5 fits me better then that will lower the gearing and be able to use readily available cassettes.

I'm torn between:

Yeah go for it!

& Why not just use the 26" wheels you have if that was what the frame was designed for?

I dont think there will be much difference between chunky tyres on a 26" wheel and smaller tyres on a 27.5" wheel.

I'm torn between:

Yeah go for it!

& Why not just use the 26" wheels you have if that was what the frame was designed for?

I dont think there will be much difference between chunky tyres on a 26" wheel and smaller tyres on a 27.5" wheel.
Thanks for reply, my only concern is the losing speed with 26” wheels, the High Latitude 29” cruises along nicely with the mid motor, need to work out the gearing and decide from there.
My commute on the High Latitude below.

Attachments

• 7A5D5599-C98D-4912-ACE0-6C051B3749B1.jpeg
    7A5D5599-C98D-4912-ACE0-6C051B3749B1.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 6
Ah conti double fighters - the most puncture prone tyre in the known universe.

(although that just might be my area of the solar system...)

Back