Correct length link wires

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
I have a question: how big a deal is using the correct length link wire?

I have a bike that I picked up without link wires (and some on which I want to replace the old straddle wire). How do I know what length to use when I re-fit them? Is there a way of measuring this?

I have another bike which uses a C/106 front and a D/93 rear. Is it OK to use this set-up on other bikes?

Many thanks, appreciate your time.

JT

Re:

If it is shimano then the links are designed to give a specific angle for its specific shale. A and a/b on the top end versions.

Pop the model number up.

Hey FC,

Ah, OK, thanks for that. Yep, everything is Shimano.

The first cantis are a set of NOS BR-M732. They arrived with unused Shimano link wires which have two barrels on them - one marked F, the other marked R (front and rear I expect). I'm wondering if these are correct as they were unboxed. Are these the right ones to use?

The second cantis are BR-M250, and the third set are BR-M550. Both are currently using straddle wires which I'd like to replace.

I had a look in the Shimano archive but couldn't see any reference to the link wires for a given brake.

Thanks mate.

Re:

The 732 have the original wires, you're lucky to have them. I remember people a while ago searching for them.

Lx m550 used a similar / same as the xt you have illsee if I can find what size they are measured at in Sutherland or Barnett's

Re:

M250 used a normal straddle as standard, I guess similar to above would work.

Pinched from the web
7d6768a7ede64fdeaa5c04f833183015.jpg

http://archiwum.allegro.pl/oferta/shima ... 42094.html

Cantis right?

For maximum mechanical advantage the link wires should be at 90 degrees to each other...

Re:

Thanks for your help with this guys. :D

I guess a bit of experimentation is called for (unless there's a resource somewhere which matches brake model numbers with link wire model numbers - how useful would that be?).

Re: Re:

PopsTrippin":1kh40iqj said:
Aren't LX m550 low profile? requiring B link cable.

They're not super low profile (shimano name) but the LX version of the XT above.

These older cantis didn't use the a b c d e f s etc proset/whatever then later are wires are called bu t the f/r multiposition wire.

There are listed for the news cantis, either the shimano catalogue (say the 1993 one) or the instructions that came with them.

Straddles are universal of course and you set them up to get teh correct height and then set the blocks to the correct distance.

Alter block distance and height to reduce power and get a firmer feel if that is your thing.

02gf74":4wnocc6d said:
Cantis right?

For maximum mechanical advantage the link wires should be at 90 degrees to each other...
Er the link wire should be at 90 degrees to the imaginary brake boss/canti line first and foremost, then between link wires is the at 90 degrees or to safety and taste unless it's a shimano link and then it is the the line they give*, then set the pads to touch the rims, then back off the lever a bit to taste.

* which is what makes them easy.
Set the link wire to the line, clamp it down, set pads to the rim with any toe in and back of the lever to taste. That then sets the imaginary canti line to 90 degrees.

Latest posts

Back