Coolwall - Marin

Marin - Cool or Uncool?

• Cool

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
I can't believe this was so close, I've always thought they were amongst the coolest of the big bike companies - I mean compared to Trek, Specialized, Giant. I always liked the way that even their cheapest bikes seemed capable and had similar good looks to the higher-up models.

T'boo Ted":cqdayy55 said:
just a question, since its merin...

pronouce it? everyone ZI have ever come accross here says Maaaar-en, or Maaar-In, but is it more like M-er-IIIN!! ? anyway I dunno

When (Alta) California was part of Nueva España, it would have been pronounce Mah-reen, I believe the common pronunciation these days it is Mah-rin

summerof1991 said

can't believe this was so close, I've always thought they were amongst the coolest of the big bike companies - I mean compared to Trek, Specialized, Giant. I always liked the way that even their cheapest bikes seemed capable and had similar good looks to the higher-up models.

has he never riden a bike, you can't compare Specialized with mingin, Specialized made bikes

Marin is definitely a 'cool' brand. Thing is, boutique brands like DeKerf, Merlin, Serotta are seen as unquestionable cool, yet snobs look down their noses at Marin.That's why Marin is cool.Because without brands like Marin, making proper, decent well-made well designed bikes, the Pradas and Guccis of the bike world would simply not exist. It's yer Marins, Treks, Speshes that have popularised mountain biking throughout the World, have graced World Championship podiums, circumnavigated the Globe. It's an old Marin that's used as a pub bike. Battered, neglected and uncared for.

The very name Marin, evokes one of the most significant places in mountain bike history. How many people have started off with a Marin as their first 'proper' mtb?

Marin have also concentrated on mtbs as their products, unlike Spesh and Trek (yes I know there are Marin hybrids), and the brand says mountain biking perhaps more than most of the other big manufacturers.

Marin deserve their place on the cool wall. Because a Marin is not all about 'ooh, look how niche and achingly desirable this bike is'; it's about just enjoying mountain biking.

And that has to be the coolest thing of all.

Back