Converting old shoes to spd

Mod-Master

Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
I would like to convert my old converse so they can be compatible with spd cleats but I’m not sure how to go about doing it. Should I buy that £50 adapter or just drill holes in the sole🤪?

What have you guys done if you even have?

I would like to convert my old converse so they can be compatible with spd cleats but I’m not sure how to go about doing it. Should I buy that £50 adapter or just drill holes in the sole🤪?

I've done it to a pair of knock converse. No adapter plate. Put a section of ali plate in. The rest of the sole was to flexible and made ridding horrid on all but cleated platform pedals.

Wasn't my finest modification.

I’ve done it a couple of times some years ago to Puma Suede. Not sure about converse as their sole is thin and very flexible. You’ll need to cannibalise old SPD shoes, or find something you could use to make a stiffer midsole (I’ve cut up an old large plastic detergent container and glued two layers together), but you’ll still need the cleat plate with threaded holes, which I got off an used pair of Muddy Fox branded shoes, bought for £1 at a boot sale.
Good luck! 👍🏼

Unless you can stiffen and strengthen the sole considerably it's unlikely to work well. Considering how flexible most sneakers / pumps are, a cleat will likely just rip straight out of the sole when clipping out, unless the pedals are adjusted so they are really loose.

Ah I had not considered the flex. Perhaps I can cut out a bit of sole and put some carbon/alu/some sort of plastic and just drill and thread some holes.

I did this BITD with my Nike cycling shoes a la J Tomac style. Being cycling shoes they already had a stiff inner sole, I cut a bit of rubber away and drilled holes for the cleats. They did eventually crack across the ball of the foot, still rideable but felt strange.... like 2 pairs of shoes joined together.
Wondering if you could bond a bit of ally sheet inside to stiffen it up but cover it with an insole (maybe trimmed?) to hide the edges. Will probably feel a bit compromised whatever you do as the area you need to change is the exact contact point with the bike.

Mine were Nike Cross Terrain, I wish I still had these :(
nike-fall-1991-catalogue.jpg

Back