Converting 97 Rockhopper FS to a commuter

Re: Re:

secret_squirrel":1e2r0ph7 said:
Why does it have a cup holder?

To hold a cup?

;)

Probably for the morning Starbucks coffee, stick a Camelbak drinking tube in there and you can enjoy your coffee on your morning commute! :)
Or maybe it's for a potted plant? Like a windowbox, but for your bike???

As for the Tora forks, if they have lock-out function then I'd probably keep using them for a while at least, you can get mudguards etc to fit suspension forks, but longer term I still think some rigid forks would be a better option for commuting,imo.

Re:

Remove weight and extraneous items where possible, although I do like to carry a gentleman's flask for most occasions. Get rid of the Shox. Lower the stem. Fit a 'better' choice of tyres, pumped up to 45psi (or quite firm). Thoroughly clean the whole drive train and lube. Every week or so, I completely disassemble the rear derailleur, taking the pulley/jockey wheels apart, cleaning the gunk and fibres out of the rubber seals. Doing this reduces effort required to overcome friction and mechanical disadvantages. For me, I know that doing this process will take 10 to 15 minutes off my commute times. Oh and maintain clean cables too. "Marginal gains" as they say in the Sky Froome Porte-acabin mothership ;)

Re:

I just wanted to post an update of the changes. New Nashbar rigid fork, new seat and seatpost. Much better ride so far!
Going to give it a tune-up soon.

Attachments

• 20161031_082551.jpg
    20161031_082551.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 250
Well you'll need to remove the brake boss's if you fit a brake disc otherwise it'll look weird plus it will be dearer with the disc unless you fit the mechanicle version ....

Back