Constrictor alloy rims are scarce - how about some replicas?

These really look good with the same dome profile, but the 700c sizes do not appear to include 40 holes, see copy of website below

Specs

RIM SIZE: 700c

WIDTH: 20mm

HEIGHT: 21mm

TIRE INTERFACE: Clincher

VALVE: Presta 32 - 40mm

BEAD SEAT DIAMETER (BSD): 622

EFFECTIVE RIM DIAMETER (ERD): 597

WEIGHT: 560g

NON-MACHINED SIDEWALL DRILLINGS/COLORS:
32 spoke: Black, Silver

36 spoke: Black, Silver

MSRP: $68.99

A colleague of mine has a pair of period Constrictor rims for sale - 26 x 1 1/4 inches if still of interest. My Evelyn Hamilton has Clement Albioni 26 x 1 1/4 rims on FB large flange hubs.

Re: Re:

keithglos":3lk8eil8 said:
Perhaps you could get the makers or suppliers to send you one undrilled?

The Constrictor rims were Conloy, and the narrow section with deep well always caused puntures as the inner tube expanded past the wire beads. They made round section cotton rim tapes, and even using 2 was not enough.

This was the only make of alloy rim I have seen worn right through the brake surface. My first tubular tyres were pre war constrictors, produced without any stitching.

Keith
As Kieth says the original "Conloys" rims were "Nowt" to write home about I have seen several pairs were the blocs had ground away the rim side wall, the nostalgic rose coloured glasses for vintage kit has to be tempered with the fact that 1980 onwards gear is better quality in materials, production & operation

Have to agree with Little Al about constrictor rims. Also the comment about time tapes. All depends what you are trying to do though. If you are attempting a period correct restoration then the choice of rims is extremely limited. Most used Dunlop high pressure rims which rusted away (forget about getting them plated) or a small range of alloy rims of which Weinmann are probably the commonest (but not before 1949/50). Dunlop stainless are nice (if you can find them), but braking in the wet - not at all good.

Re:

Back in 1948/9 I had a pair of Dunlop 27 inch alloy rims made from solid extrusion.
Never saw another pair.
I used to buy Weinmann Alesa 27s in crate lots, (25 pairs)

Keith

I have recently acquired some interesting alloy rims from ca. 1950.
Firstly, a pair of 27" x 1 1/4" San Giorgio rims. These are NOS but still have some corrosion problems. Not the best quality. The others are 26" x 1 1/4 Clement Albioni rims. These are very nice and similar to Weinmann rims of the same period.
I am unsure who imported and sold these. Any information would be interesting.

Back