Confounded by brake set up on a Joe Waugh

Thank you all for your really informative contributions-it just goes to show how a little learning is a dangerous thing. I rode 27" as a kid in the 70s, took most of the 80s off a bike, returned solely to MTB and by the time I got back into road bikes after about 2005, figured that 700c was pretty straightforward with standard, deep or cantis...looks like there's nothing wrong per se, I just need a proper short set of calipers.

Here's the (almost) finished article which quite possibly does have a Cinelli MC crown as the BB shell is a spoiler and the tubeset is 531 designer select. Funnily enough I have used Dia-Compe Aero levers, so will PM Rod with a view to completing the set, if pretty enough 🤩
(BTW, the finish is called blue lilac sparkle, not lurid purple as my colourblind mate says...)

IMG_2514.jpg IMG_2515.jpg IMG_2516.jpg IMG_2511.jpg

Splendid :). DS too. If it wasn't for the under bb cable routing and Allen key brakes could be from my era. Timeless :)

That’s a pretty steep head angle with minimal fork rake so what length is the wheelbase?
Could be a TT frame & suspect it very response & lively on the road 👍

That’s a pretty steep head angle with minimal fork rake so what length is the wheelbase?
Could be a TT frame & suspect it very response & lively on the road 👍
It is pretty short, 975mm on a nominal 56cm frame but interestingly, while it is sharp, lively and responsive, I don't find it twitchy which coming from a 57 year old whose daily drivers are a Condor light tourer and a Kinesis ATB is saying something. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to cope with the old school geometry though-it's not quite stem chewing but definitely lower stack than I'd normally ride and the quill stem is maxed out...

38” wheelbase makes it not twitchy what so ever even with the sharper angles & less fork rake. Enjoy the ride.

Back