Wanted Compact/sub-compact double chainset and/or 14-28 six-speed freewheel to be fitted to early 80's (1982?) Raleigh Richmond

z23

Retro Newbie
Hello,

As suggested by @KermitGKona88 putting feelers out there to see if anybody on here might have

1) a compact/sub-compact double chainset
and/or
2) 14-28 six-speed freewheel (preferably Suntour as the rear derailleur is a Suntour VX; should be a screw-on freewheel and the rear hub has been identified by @jim haseltine as an Atom/Normandy hub - see link to original post below - but I have still to confirm this as I don't have access to the bike right now)

that would be suitable for fitting to an early 80's (1982?) Raleigh Record to "downgear" it for easier hilly riding (preferably whilst keeping the whole bike looking reasonably "period-correct" and compliant with spec on similar Raleigh models of the period.)

I'd also be looking for:

3) a compatible front derailleur (I was thinking something like a Huret Club or a Suntour Compe V as suggested by @vcballbat here)
4) a set of Suntour (LD-500?) shifters for mounting on the downtube
5) if possible, a cable guide to run the front derailleur cable above or below the BB (pic of existing setup here, otherwise if that is not an option possibly suggestions as to DIY options for routing the front derailleur cable welcome!! it seems from the picture there may be some kind of boss on the downtube for running the cable but don't know if that would be sufficient or if that is for something else? pump boss...??)
5)a) possibly also, compatible new chain and derailleur cables

For more details of what I'm trying to achieve, please see my original related post (with pictures of the bike) in the Retro Classic Road forum

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...iod-original-spec-correct-downgearing.449644/

Thanks!

Last edited:
The "boss" on the downtube is to run a length of cable outer casing from that to the front mech. you just need to make sure that the front mech you get has a built in cable stop. That's how the bike would have been sold.

Also, you could in theory get a seven speed freewheel if you'd rather have one more gear at the expense of originality. Back then 7 speed was launched as compact, the compact meaning the narrower cogs of 7 were the same width as standard 6.

Decathlon sell 6 and 7 speed freewheels, as will do some ebay shops for £10-£15. They may not be Suntour, but unless you plan to show the bike, no one will know

And personally, i reckon a nice set of full length silver mudguards would finish the bike off nicely

Reactions: z23
Hello,

As suggested by @KermitGKona88 putting feelers out there to see if anybody on here might have

1) a compact/sub-compact double chainset
and/or
2) 14-28 six-speed freewheel (preferably Suntour as the rear derailleur is a Suntour VX; should be a screw-on freewheel and the rear hub has been identified by @jim haseltine as an Atom/Normandy hub - see link to original post below - but I have still to confirm this as I don't have access to the bike right now)

that would be suitable for fitting to an early 80's (1982?) Raleigh Record to "downgear" it for easier hilly riding (preferably whilst keeping the whole bike looking reasonably "period-correct" and compliant with spec on similar Raleigh models of the period.)

I'd also be looking for:

3) a compatible front derailleur (I was thinking something like a Huret Club or a Suntour Compe V as suggested by @vcballbat here)
4) a set of Suntour (LD-500?) shifters for mounting on the downtube
5) if possible, a cable guide to run the front derailleur cable above or below the BB (pic of existing setup here, otherwise if that is not an option possibly suggestions as to DIY options for routing the front derailleur cable welcome!! it seems from the picture there may be some kind of boss on the downtube for running the cable but don't know if that would be sufficient or if that is for something else? pump boss...??)
5)a) possibly also, compatible new chain and derailleur cables

For more details of what I'm trying to achieve, please see my original related post (with pictures of the bike) in the Retro Classic Road forum

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...iod-original-spec-correct-downgearing.449644/

Thanks!
I can possibly help you with everything on your list besides the freewheel. I have a Stronglight 99 chainset with compact chainrings, Suntour Compe 5 or similar model front mech, Suntour VX friction shifters (don't know the model you mention but if they're Powershift shifters can help with these too), plus a suitable chain and derailleur cables. And BTW, Pigman's above comments regarding the cable stop brazed to your frame sounds right to me.

Reactions: z23
@walkmanman that's sounds great. What would the sizes of the chainrings on the Stronglight 99 be?

A front derailleur similar to the Suntour Compe 5 would be OK as a long as it has a cable stop as per @pigman's comment ...

As for the shifters, you can see the original stem-mounted shifter on the picture here which seems to be marked "Suntour Power" (??) so would want to stick with something similar if poss but will I suppose have to buy both shifters for mounting on the downtube (I will be holding onto and cleaning up all the original parts anyway in case I want to return the bike to its original spec at some point in the future).

Also would be looking to have the parts shipped to Northern Ireland for the start of Sept. if that's not too much trouble .... 🤔

Last edited:
Sorry the title of this thread should be Raleigh Richmond not Raleigh Record. Have edited the thread title accordingly.....

@walkmanman that's sounds great. What would the sizes of the chainrings on the Stronglight 99 be?

A front derailleur similar to the Suntour Compe 5 would be OK as a long as it has a cable stop as per @pigman's comment ...

As for the shifters, you can see the original stem-mounted shifter on the picture here which seems to be marked "Suntour Power" (??) so would want to stick with something similar if poss but will I suppose have to buy both shifters for mounting on the downtube (I will be holding onto and cleaning up all the original parts anyway in case I want to return the bike to its original spec at some point in the future).

Also would be looking to have the parts shipped to Northern Ireland for the start of Sept. if that's not too much trouble .... 🤔
Pm'd

Back