Colnago Super for sale - help please

Super Record

Retro Newbie
Ive been watching this Colnago Super frame on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330873257181?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The thing is, Id like to find a good Colnago frame or complete bike, but sadly I dont have any real knowledge of these frames/bikes yet, but there are a few points about this particular frame that I am not sure about even with my limited knowledge:

Firstly - the top tube has a provision for the rear brake cable to run inside the tube, but I can't find any other photos of a Colnago frame that has this feature...
Perhaps its a very late model ? In which case what age is it ? and would this tie in with the other dated features of the frame?

Secondly, there is no boss to carry the rear brake caliper as I've seen on other Colnago frames - but perhaps that just because it was once a 'track-bike' and the short brace tube was then later simply drilled to accept a caliper ?

Finally - (but probably not) The rear Campag drop outs look unusual - as if they are missing some detail. The radius on the edges of the triangular cutouts dont appear uniform and in some way are lacking some uniformity and finesse ? There are signs of heavy sanding around them, so maybe someone was just a little heavy handed in the past in restoring rust perhaps ?

So - Im hoping that there are a few Guru's out there that may be able to put my mind at rest. Then I can bid - unless i'm told that even the starting price is ait heavy ! what's it worth :?:

Sorry for the scepticism (especially if its someone on here that is seling it) but my main work in life is restoring and preparing Historic Racing cars and within this field there are a lot of fakes to be aware of ! - Im not sure if it's reached the retro bike world yet. :roll:

Thanks in advance

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Short Campag Dropouts and over BB cable guides and nutted brakes look like 70's features but the TT cable running through the frame is from a later date........... very strange and wonder if it has been "modified".

I'm not a Colnago expert but doesn't look kosher to me.

Shaun

A few (too many) inconsisties to make this one worthy of too much thought. I spent 6 months searching for the perfect (super/mexico/sport) 'nago, so whilst not an authority, I've seen quite a few.

The single 'goto' item I always look for is the top of the seat stays - I wouldn't buy a 75-85 Colnago if it didn't have COLNAGO or a club engraved at the top of the seat stay. Everything else can be copied, but the tops of the seat stay (or, perhaps the BB engraving - which you could ask to look at?)
It's been resprayed, with easily available (and, well, obvious) decals (not a crime, but if I were to fake a frame, I can imagine people would do it this way). The fact it's not noted in the description dosn't give much faith in the seller, even though he has a fair feedback. Either way, if it was a Colnago, (with nothing in the seat stays) it would have been a very early Super or the slightly lower range Sport. Or, perhaps slightly more likely, a Colner, which is an offshoot for a foreign market that I'm not too familiar with.
The font of the Colnago in the headtube sticker is of the modern era (i.e. slightly flatter) (I could be wrong on this one though!)
The internal gear routing, however, at best mightily crass on this era frame, or at worst signifier this was never a Colnago.

HOWEVER
I can't explain, if it was a fake, how/why you'd have those forks (unless the forks were acquired on their own then the frame dressed up to mach).

Still too many oddities for me I'm afraid.

The internal cable guide is not authentic, but could have been added later on. As far as I know not all Colnago Super frames had a club on the seat stays, but it would have to say 'Colnago' on the chainstay (which unfortunately is not visible). I would also expect a club on the lower headtube lug (also not visible) and a club cut out from the bottom bracket (also not visible). The fork seems authentic, but the frame doesn't.

Many thanks for the friendly and very swift help.
I didn't bid and in the end nobody else did either. I'm happy to have avoided it now and feel very pleased with myself for joining this forum just a few days ago, as I've already benefited greatly from help and sound views of other members here. What a cool and friendly community !
Mark

I meant to add... That I did contact the seller to ask for further photos to include the BB and other significant areas, but I didn't get a single reply !!! Strange... !

Back