Colnago Sport & Locally built frame.

Heavy

Retro Guru
I've been asked by a friend to help her dad sell a couple of 80s road bikes that he's had since bitd, so I've been to look at them. Both have been painted so accurately identifying them is the first step.

Bike One. I was told that the first is a 'Colnago Columbus' which he'd bought at a local bike shop, but noticed that it didn't have any of the usual Colnago frame details. A bit of research leads me to believe that its a Colnago Sport which were made throughout the 80s, and that this is a later one, probably with Columbus Aelle tubing, and that these bikes did not have the 'club' logo or embossed name etc.

Various details match the images I've looked at including lugs, seat-stay caps, forks, drop-outs, & chainstay bridge as well as the lack of a serial number which was common on the Colnago Sport. There are some things which are slightly different, including 4 slots of BB shell and brake bridge, but with these bikes being contracted out to various makers, that's perhaps not surprising. Kit is Shimano 600 with Mavic MA2 rims.

Most people take one look at a genuine Colnago Sports and incorrectly say its a fake, but do you feel I'm right in what I say?

Bike Two. I was told that this frame was made to order at a long-gone local bike shop - Complete Cyclist in Stockton, by one of the proprietors Cliff Featherstone. It's badged as 531 and I think the drop-outs are campag. Kit is Shimano 600 with Wolber Profil 20 rims. I do remember the shop but can't find a single thing online about their frames or bikes.

In the absence of any other info, my thought is that this bike would be valued based on similarly spec'd locally made bikes?

Both bikes have their original cockpits and my thoughts are that they should be reinstated and the aero bars sold separately?

Please weigh in with any thoughts as I'm keen to help properly identify the bikes and enable him to sell them for the correct money.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• C4.jpg
    C4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 464
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 462
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 464
  • C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 464
Re:

Attachments

• CC4.jpg
    CC4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 462
  • CC3.jpg
    CC3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 462
  • CC2.jpg
    CC2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 462
  • CC1.jpg
    CC1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 462
Re:

someone on this site was after a yellow turbo saddle. selling that separately might raise a few more quid

take the tri bars off, they wont help a sale.

the yellow bike looks to have the better frame in my eyes

Re:

Cheers Pigman,

The yellow frame is probably better, but without a well known name attached likely to be valued at less. I think the seller said the yellow one was twice the price of the Colnago.

I mentioned to the seller about selling parts but i think he just wants them to go as complete bikes.

Do you think my rationale for identification and valuing is correct?

(This is more of a 'what is it?' thread than a 'How much?' but i would be interested in knowing people's thoughts on value range too)

So very very tricky without recognisable brand names plastered up the down tubes.

Those Shimano 600 headsets are worth a few pennies on their own.

I would sit at around £150 minimum for each frame and forks - good pics the BB shell and drop-outs will sell the frames

The groupsets are hit and miss at the moment - I love the 'tricolour' 600 groupset but many dont and prices can be a bit flat

I would say £250 for the Yellow bike 600 groupset in good cleaned up condition including the wheels

And maybe £225 for the Blue bike groupset

Everything super clean and shiny of course!

As whole bikes, £200, £250 for the pair and take them home for a project to sell on later - I'd have both. keep one and sell one but thats me.

Re:

Thanks LGF, sage advice on sure.

Im pretty sure he'd like to sell the bikes complete.

Just to be clear, what value would you put on each bike as they stand but with original drops on? (I got confused at the last line)

Re:

Thanks LGF, I'm not buying, just helping to properly identify & value ready for sale.

Everyone's help much appreciated.

Back