Colnago Master Pui Decor - to respray or not..

After a couple of new builds, merckx and pinarello concept, ive run out of cash but still not sure what to do with this colnago master pui.

Ive heard that there was a craze in the states, a few years ago, for letting top marque steel bikes go rusty INTENTIONALLY then they would lacquer over with silica type spray, thus stopping the oxidisation and stopping the rust in its tracks. Is this true? If so, this might be my solution (for now until i can afford proper repsray). The rust will prob continue but at a very small pace? Enough to last my lifetime?

Whats everyones thoughts on this?

I think the American's who did that must have more money than sense.

If you need to save up to do a proper job, then do that. Letting the frame rust, even just a little, is a dangerous game, as many frame tubes are extremely thin to start with, and it will only take a little too much rusting to produce a hole. After that you are in an entirely different world, cost wise.

In addition, striping the paint and letting the frame rust is going to reduce the value of the frame substantially, and possibly permanently. If you want a steel road frame to wreck, then I'm sure I can find one for you, which I will quite happily swap for you Colnago frame ;)

NeilM":38r85ji3 said:
I think the American's who did that must have more money than sense.

If you need to save up to do a proper job, then do that. Letting the frame rust, even just a little, is a dangerous game, as many frame tubes are extremely thin to start with, and it will only take a little too much rusting to produce a hole. After that you are in an entirely different world, cost wise.

In addition, striping the paint and letting the frame rust is going to reduce the value of the frame substantially, and possibly permanently. If you want a steel road frame to wreck, then I'm sure I can find one for you, which I will quite happily swap for you Colnago frame ;)

I hope i didnt infer i wanted to rust the whole nag! I mean, i wanted to just treat the area as shown on the above with some sort of rust preventer. Maybe i could remove the surface rust first.

boggy":3efo0wyv said:
After a couple of new builds, merckx and pinarello concept, ive run out of cash but still not sure what to do with this colnago master pui.

Ive heard that there was a craze in the states, a few years ago, for letting top marque steel bikes go rusty INTENTIONALLY then they would lacquer over with silica type spray, thus stopping the oxidisation and stopping the rust in its tracks. Is this true? If so, this might be my solution (for now until i can afford proper repsray). The rust will prob continue but at a very small pace? Enough to last my lifetime?

Whats everyones thoughts on this?

Well, they say rust never sleeps but if you keep the frame indoors and warm and dry the rust will be as good as asleep. As for the paintwork I'm in agreement with everyone else that its to good to respray, its only original once :LOL:

I'd look for a custom airbrush painter, they should be able to strip back the badly chipped area and feather in a new section. They will be able to mix a near perfect match and if its done right it should be all but invisible.

I'm based in portsmouth but willing to travel upto 20 mile. I have contacted couple if airbrushers locally but either don't respond or stop communicating after initial email. So obviously they must be busy at moment.

Last resort is to go back to c&g finishers and just get top tube repAinted one colour. They did fantastic job on my pinarello. Even lined the panto areas without asking me or even charging me. They even polished up the chrome areas! really recommend them

boggy":2nv3desv said:
I'm based in portsmouth but willing to travel upto 20 mile. I have contacted couple if airbrushers locally but either don't respond or stop communicating after initial email. So obviously they must be busy at moment.

Last resort is to go back to c&g finishers and just get top tube repAinted one colour. They did fantastic job on my pinarello. Even lined the panto areas without asking me or even charging me. They even polished up the chrome areas! really recommend them

If you want to get the whole thing refinished, for intricate paint jobs it might be worth getting in touch with Neill Shankland at Atlantic Boulevard (http://www.atlantic-boulevard.co.uk/). Not cheap by any means, but they arrange the collection & delivery regardless of UK mainland location provided you strip the bike down and box up the frame yourself.

David

David B":1f5l0s9m said:
boggy":1f5l0s9m said:

If you want to get the whole thing refinished, for intricate paint jobs it might be worth getting in touch with Neill Shankland at Atlantic Boulevard (http://www.atlantic-boulevard.co.uk/). Not cheap by any means, but they arrange the collection & delivery regardless of UK mainland location provided you strip the bike down and box up the frame yourself.

David

Hi, already had quote of £350 from them. Thanks anyway

£350! Ouch they are based ten minutes from me and was contemplating asking for a quote... Clear varnish over scrapes and rust sounds a bit more likely!

Latest posts

Back