(Colnago Master: Help, please!) Problem solved!?

Shamus":1oe2iics said:
Model: Colnago Master
Year: 1st generation 1984 to 1988

1st clue: the seat-stays have "COLNAGO" logo at the seat-post cluster. From 1989/1990, Colnago changed to a "clover" logo.

2nd clue: the bottom bracket is the early generation with "clover" cut-out.

3rd clue: the top-tube brake cable mount is of earliest generation. In 1988, Colnago introduced both external cable model "Master" and internal cable Master model "MasterPiu".

4th clue: Downtube, toptube and seattube all have similar profiled Gilco design -tubes.

5th clue: Front lug should have clover -logo and Colnago text

Here is example other Colnago profiled tube, what is not a Master.

Thanks a lot, shamus, for your answer.

All those clues mentioned above can be found in my bike. Except the seattube is round - not with similar profile as downtube and toptube.

I think you are right - my Master must represent the first generation. Perhaps year 1984? I found this (attached) photo of 1984 Master. It is almost like my bike. I think only the chromed lugs - instead of painted ones of my bike - and the decals are different. Because of repainting - as you suggested - perhaps?

Still, its quite hard to believe that it would be repainted. The paint looks so good and original - even all those curved logos and Colnago texts painted white look so neat. If you do the repainting so well and get new decals why to overpaint beautiful chromed lugs?

I don´t know if it´s possible that there are two different versions of lugs made by manufacturer: the chromed and the painted ones?

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 3,322
Re: Colnago Master: Help, please!

olzu":29n7uupf said:
I recently bought this Colnago Master - so my long-term dream of an italian road bike came true. :D Seller of the bike told me that it´s from mid 1990´s. I would like to know the exact year. I´ve tried to find shots of similar bike on the net but I haven´t found any. Further information of Colnago Masters in general is also welcome. Thanks a lot in advance!

I recently recieved an e-mail – concerning my Colnago problem – with very believable explanation:

My bike is not Colnago Master from 1990´s or 1980´s.
It is repainted Colnago Mexico from mid 1980´s with Master decals

Why mid 80´s Mexico instead of 80´s Master? Main reasons are:

- The profile of tubes is not "square" like Master´s but "indented" like Mexico´s. (I misunderstood the profile question when it was asked, sorry)

- Master has chromed lugs with different shape. Photos of mid 80´s Mexicos seem to have similar painted lugs to my bike.

I just can´t understand why to add wrong decals after repainting...
And why not to repaint in original color (I quess the color can´t be original Mexico color)?

I´m happy that my bike is much older than I expected.
And I´m a bit disappointed because the frame is not "original".
I´dont know if I´ll ever repaint it in Mexico style with Mexico decals because the bike has many non-original components. At least I´ll remove the "Master" decal – and just ride&enjoy...

Thanks a lot all members – and non-members – who answered and tried to solve my problem. I really appreciate your help!

If someone disagree that the bike is mid 1980´s Mexico, let me know.
And I still don´t know the exact year of the frame. So, help is still needed...

Master

I think the last answer is probably the most plausible. The only thing stoppping it from standing out as a Mexico frame is the paintjob/transfers.

The paint looks a bit thick round the head tube lugs and this is not indicative of Colnago finishes. Also, as you say - why would someone paint over chrome lugs? My guess is that they were never chrome to start with. And the decals are maybe just a vain attempt at 'upgrading' the frame. I remember folk sticking these on their old Raleighs back in the 80's - the Master was and still is THE frame to have.

I bet its a beaut to ride. You can get the original decals from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Colnago-Mexic...Z7295QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

If you find it is a Master, he has the decals too, the ones hes selling as '80s' are exactly like the Master in the last pic posted.

Having said all this, I could be totally wrong and it is an early Master with basic decals, no chrome and an unusual colour scheme, this of course would make it even rarer!!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back