(Colnago Master: Help, please!) Problem solved!?

wow .. what a wake up. shamus your bike is exactly like mine was back in around '88, altho' mine had the mavic "chunky mech" groupset and campag delta brakeset. Yours looks great. Do you still ride it, or is it a showpiece?

Ok, a bit more information (slightly contradictory but from reliable sources so I'll just give it as I have it).

The Master was launched in 1983/4 with the main changes from the Mexico (on which Saronni won the Worlds at Goodwood in 1982, there is a reissue out at present and it's gorgeous) being the intricate cast lugs and the Gilco distinctively shaper tube profiles. Later iterations were the Master Piu (internal cable routing), Master Olympic and Master X-Lite (thinner walls so the tube diameter increased). Not sure when the straight Prescia fork was introduced but have read that it was introduced at about the same time as the original Master. So looks like I was at least a year or two out with my original guess but with the curved blade fork I think it probably is an early Master.

ededwards":33q0qjm0 said:
Ok, a bit more information (slightly contradictory but from reliable sources so I'll just give it as I have it).

The Master was launched in 1983/4 with the main changes from the Mexico (on which Saronni won the Worlds at Goodwood in 1982, there is a reissue out at present and it's gorgeous) being the intricate cast lugs and the Gilco distinctively shaper tube profiles. Later iterations were the Master Piu (internal cable routing), Master Olympic and Master X-Lite (thinner walls so the tube diameter increased). Not sure when the straight Prescia fork was introduced but have read that it was introduced at about the same time as the original Master. So looks like I was at least a year or two out with my original guess but with the curved blade fork I think it probably is an early Master.

Thanks a lot. Very interesting information. I really appreciate your help.

Model: Colnago Master
Year: 1st generation 1984 to 1988

1st clue: the seat-stays have "COLNAGO" logo at the seat-post cluster. From 1989/1990, Colnago changed to a "clover" logo.

2nd clue: the bottom bracket is the early generation with "clover" cut-out.

3rd clue: the top-tube brake cable mount is of earliest generation. In 1988, Colnago introduced both external cable model "Master" and internal cable Master model "MasterPiu".

4th clue: Downtube, toptube and seattube all have similar profiled Gilco design -tubes.

5th clue: Front lug should have clover -logo and Colnago text

Here is example other Colnago profiled tube, what is not a Master.

Attachments

• Colnago3.JPG
    Colnago3.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,581
Back