Claud Butler Olympic Sprint (Final pics 20/06/13)

If there's a date code on the back of those brake calipers it will give you an idea of its age. Or, something under the brooks saddle or on the chainset?

That's looking really good. It's amazing looking at the sparkling kingfisher blue frame in the latest picture and realising that paint was hding under that dust and gunk all the time. Saddle looks in fine fettle too. :)

I can see the same Bayliss Wiley bottom bracket as iives in my own 1963 CB frame in there too. This was a bit grumbly when I got the frame, but dating as it does from a golden age of case hardening (http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Stu ... age_2.html :) ) a squirt of degreaser and some new grease means it now revolves with an eery, noiseless absence of friction...

I forgot to update this ...

I rebuilt the bike as a single speed and use it for commuting.

Due to the fact it was to be a commuter I opted for powder coat. I know some of you will frown at that but it was cheaper than paint and more durable. I did the white head tube and seat tube band myself. I haven't put any decals on it as the only ones I could find were water slide and I've no intention of putting on clear coat to protect them. I might get some anyway and see how long they last.

The wheels are cheapos from Bankrupt Bike company and I re-used the tyres and tubes that were on it and surprisingly they have stayed inflated !

The bar tape and Charge Spoon finished it off.

Maybe not to everyones liking but it's another decent old frame saved from being scrap and it's fast and comfortable.

I have what appears to be a similar frame, photos here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/rudimayr/W ... directlink

As you will see, it has 'Witcomb' decals, newish paint (or powdercoat), no mudguard eyelets, and a lower frame number (1492).

But other than a few other Claud Butler Olympic Sprints, I haven't seen any other frame with these lugs, fork crown, etc.

I'd appreciate any comments... do you think mine might also be an Olympic Sprint?

Also, Hawmaw, can you tell me the seat post size of yours?

Thanks!

Back