Claud Butler - Interesting Paint Job!

Well, this is why it pays to sleep on things.

Got up this morning And decided to give the frame another look and a good clean after a bike mechanic I showed the photos to said he would be surprised to see a crack there. Lo and behold...

Some paint splatters and ingrained dirt cleaned off and suddenly it's looking much better!

PXL_20231016_085639687.jpg

Glad you got it checked out. I wondered if the paint splatter was being mistaken for a crack
In my slightly frazzled state last night I was convinced it was white epoxy! So there will certainly be more updates on this one.

Not sure I'll be able to resist a respray though, those green lugs really don't do it for me.

In my slightly frazzled state last night I was convinced it was white epoxy! So there will certainly be more updates on this one.

Not sure I'll be able to resist a respray though, those green lugs really don't do it for me.
Hi @veganhaggis
Unfortunately it’s not a top end model, it’s likely the bottom model “Challenge” maybe a courier but tbh with that cheap stamped fork crown I’d put my money the entry level Challenge, still a nice bike though.
The gross green lugs are most definitely NOT original, neither are most of the decals.
Have fun doing it up and enjoy riding it.

But be aware…. The moment you do anything other than wash it you will be losing money. I guarantee it.

A few more bits have happened since these photos were taken, but figured I should add them for posterity.

Gave the frame a proper clean! That orange certainly is flamboyant.

I've been looking at as many images as I find of CB's from around that time and I suspect it's a Coureur. The head tube lacks the little 'fin' that the Challenge seems to have under the badge and is instead a straight line.

With the help of the parts bin at my local bike workshop I've now got a saddle, seat tube and rear brake on it, along with a £10 Decathlon freewheel. I did give riding fixed a go but the freewheel feels much more natural to me.

First very brief test ride and the bike felt great, really alive! I'll post some more pics soon.

PXL_20231016_084731892.jpg PXL_20231016_090137102.jpg PXL_20231016_090113537.jpg

First proper ride last night!

Picked up a matching GB Sprite rear brake on ebay and fitted that along with a 'new' front wheel & Gatorskins from the workshop parts bin.

Bike rides beautifully already. I fully intend to give it all a proper strip and service soon.

I've had some powdercoating quotes but I have to admit the beater/clown bike aesthetic is growing on me... That's a job for early next year anyway so no rush to decide.

PXL_20231031_102436899.jpg
PXL_20231031_102325647.jpg
PXL_20231031_102340362.jpg

Updates!

It's not exactly been smooth sailing with the Claud.

Firstly I stumbled upon the information that the lovely Stronglight 49D cranks that were fitted to the frame have a unique 23.35mm thread and require a unique and expensive crank puller to remove. £50 later...

PXL_20231110_150525871.jpg

Next up the wonderful bottom bracket. I spent another £13 on a tool to remove that as I didn't want to marr the lovely cups. Cups it turned out were made of some sort of incredibly soft plastic. The first one came off relatively unscathed...

PXL_20231113_175636755.jpg

The second, not so much.

received_7068115976578370.jpeg

In the end I had to chisel (screwdriver) and hacksaw it out of the frame as it refused to budge and any attempt to unscrew it just mashed it up even more. A real shame cos the SKF bottom bracket itself ran smooth as silk, but unless I can stumble on a replacement for the mangled cup it won't be seeing action again.

A small comfort however is that it appears this set of cranks fits JIS rather than the older ISO (in fact I think the existing BB was also JIS fit).

577679b5-0edb-4996-94ad-c261610be4a8.jpg

You might have guessed where this is going. With the perfectly good bottom bracket removed, the frame is now off for powder coating.

I'm a bit melancholy about it, but I really want to build a really nice bike around the frame as I love how it rides. So next time you (and I) see it it'll look quite different.

PXL_20231114_105317015.jpg

Latest posts

Back