Clarkson gone and.......

Re:

I personally couldn't care less.
I gave up on the programme years ago.
Clarkson should have been arrested for common assault, any member of the public would have been surely, had it happened in public. Within any other company, he would have been sacked, so why not th BBC?
It was reported he put the other bloke in hospital.
If Clarkson had been let off, that imo would give him free range to do it again.
BTW I find Chris Evans equally good for the show, as I don't like him either!

Mike

Re: Re:

The 'other bloke' went to A&E with a split lip - not exactly 'necessary', but these days... So it gets reported as "put him in hospital" but it's not really all that.

integerspin":xjdqglw8 said:
Will the outside events stop?
The events company (Live Nation) have said the current UK dates will continue but no mention of who will be involved as yet.

Be interesting to see how things like TopGear magazine (a car magazine) are affected; as it have very little to do with the show aside from the name and some guest columns from the three amigos.

Harryburgundy":3bc9b8dq said:
Personally I thought the programme format passed its expiry date years ago...as bloated and as idiotic as JC became, the programme became banal, repetitive, formulaic and purile.
I could not have put it better myself.

NeilM":5ir8npdp said:
Harryburgundy":5ir8npdp said:
Personally I thought the programme format passed its expiry date years ago...as bloated and as idiotic as JC became, the programme became banal, repetitive, formulaic and purile.
I could not have put it better myself.

And you would have replaced it with....?

And Chris Evans is some sort of saint? Anyone remember him from his chaotic Radio 1 days? Another very very rich personality misbehaving live on the radio to millions. Actually fun to listen to.

Now on Radio Beige and about as listenable as a Marks & Spencer menswear price list. Moyles was fun too. In fact even Sarah Cox was fun, if completely barmy but now on Radio Beige with not a hint of non BBC personality.

TV is rapidly turning beige, frightened of its own shadow, the internet has long been waiting to take its place leading to darker uncontrolled places.

What the 80's thought we'd be watching by now

buyfordollar.jpg

Running-Man.jpg

I'm glad he is gone, it wont fix TG but it should make it better.

I've not had a TV since 2001 but I have watched a few episodes on iplayer because they sometimes got nice cars but it was hardly ever worth it.
Old men making lame jokes for kids, stupid challenges (oh look a floating van again) and boring star in a car plugging crap new film, yawn. Maybe ten minutes of driving.

NeilM":1hu0nd9f said:
legrandefromage":1hu0nd9f said:
And you would have replaced it with....?
With a blank screen for all I care, I rarely watch TV these days.

Ahh, one of THOSE people... But, you will still be consuming the BBC in some form. PM or the Today program dont make themselves you know. You may be the dullest person at the coffee machine or snack wagon as what you have to discuss is drowned out by talk of the Walking Dead or whatever, but others are wired differently. Top Gear was popular for a reason and the millions of those reasons want to be entertained. Top Gear filled that gap and whatever tries to follow will have a big job on its hands.

Incidentally I note that theres very little reference to 5th gear here? I found it too dry but as a kid I enjoyed the very factual original Top Gear. 5th gear makes me want to turn the TV over but Top Gear made me want to do a track day or doughnuts in the company car park with the company director egging me on...

What does that make me? Some sort of social pariah because I enjoy TG or innuendo bingo? But I listen to PM, the Today program, the News Quiz and laugh like a drain at Family Guy...? I'm sorry but I am 'guilty' of enjoying Top Gear as entertainment - happy to pay the £850,000 for the Eagle E-type for the engineering but balking at the idea of forking out £14,995 for a crappy Fiesta. TG entertained me, me meeeeeee! And the millions of other types of me that listen to Heart breakfast and have no idea who Miles Jupp is but will still need to be entertained by a 'bloke'.

legrandefromage":2dxsjnkg said:
[

Ahh, one of THOSE people... But, you will still be consuming the BBC in some form. PM or the Today program dont make themselves you know.
Not quite sure what one of THOSE people means. Yes I do listen to Radio 4, as I cover tens of thousands of business miles every year, but I kind of figured that I was paying for those services through the licence fee.

If you love TG, then you are in a massive group of people, but I didn't, and I don't like Clarkson's style and think the whole thing had become formulaic.

Motoring programmes are dull, TG whazzed the whole format up, but was not to my taste, so, unlike you, I'm not sorry to see it go.

Re:

LFG, you talk as though the show is inevitably at an end. I don't see that at all. It may be a smaller entity as a TV phenomenon, but I guess we have to wait and see. Clarkson still has a massive stake in it apparently, which is more than he got the other night hence the aggro.. I would not be surprised to see him back in in some role such as creative director or suchlike.

The one thing I was happy to see was Mr. Outrage-For-Pay cycling around. If there was ever a public acknowledgement a lot of his views are purely reactionary..

I feel it could continue very successfully if they merely tweaked the format a little. He should be persuading his colleagues to continue. May hinted at the secrets behind Clarkson's TG persona when he nodded to complex reasons for it all working that people would not understand.

Clarkson drives an electric car day to day and rescues vivisection rabbits. You heard it here first.

Here is one suggestion for the new format.

"Stars in Unreasonably Fast Cars"

Let's see Jay Kay hammering a Zonda around that circuit.

I've never mentioned that I was sorry to see it go, just that I am one of 'those' people (but not your type of 'those' people, but maybe I am as I too cover thousands of business miles a year) who strives to be entertained. I need to be entertained like some bored child in playschool (but give me some lego and I wouldnt have looked up for hours). I'm starting to feel excluded form the mainstream because I am not enjoying beige enough.

I turn the telly on around 6pm and only require something to keep my attention for the next few hours unless the weather is good, then I'm out on a bicycle, looking at a bicycle or rebuilding a bicycle. Bicycles have a lot to answer for.

*the last episode had the feel of a final program. What next, what will be there to entertain us troglodytes (more Miles Jupp please!)?

Back