circa 1998 GT Zaskar project

dantheman

Retro Newbie
Hi, I have a 1998 ish (could be older) GT Zaskar - it's been sitting in a shed, unused for 7 or so years. The polished frame's a bit dull and there's a scratches due to riding hard back in the day. I'm thinking of restoring it, and maybe a bit of rebuilding? It has Marzocchi Bombers (Blue). the rest of the kit is LX which came with it when I bought the thing. Any ideas on where to begin? I'm not sure what direction to take it?[/img]

Attachments

• Zas-1a.jpg
    Zas-1a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,116
I'll keep it out of the For Sale Section for sure, besides, (Mikee) you don't have space on your lawn! Any tips on where to find decent bits for it appreciated!

Does'nt look too bad in the pics, the Bombers suit a Zaskar, those look like Z3 Lights, the right period and travel for the frame, the Kore stem is decent enough too, besides a good clean and service, besides maybe gradually upgrading the LX kit to XT cant see what else it'd need.

The frame could be stripped and polished, but trouble is when you do that you need to keep polishing it to keep it looking good

dan
as my macretro mate jimmi said i needs nothing
but he's wrong , it needs to be used , me i'd change the seat for a flite
or a wtb sst , but thats just me
get it out and ride it

where do you live , there will be a retrobike faction near you
hook up for a rideout , you'll see the worth of your bike then riding it with
likeminded old men

Clean it and ride it.
I have one with LX kit and D521 rims. It could use some suss forks.

1997_GT_Zaskar.JPG

zasker

looks ready to roll,come on dan where are you? dont make me start the phone hacking again.still in the s@#t from last time :LOL:

The pic doesn't show the scars, but sharp eyes would notice original Yeti grips! and, being inspired, I rummaged out my Poobah's (2004); also, even my faded memory remembers that LX kit (Although this bike has later LX) isn't the best; So, I will aim to get hold of xtr or better of that era - if possible. I live in Mold, N.Wales, this bike has been well ridden in mostly, 'clarty' conditions up and down this area.

The bike I skipped before this one would have interested some of you, It was a Specialized Stumpjumper 1991ish (bought the frame from a pro working out of Mike Cookson's, Whitefield N. Manchester?, who'd won it in a race) I remember, XTR seat post, Flite seat, Middleburn cranks and oversized Pace chain rings , xtr chain set and rear hub, and a really fancy front hub (Can't remember at the moment what); and yes, I binned it! Eek!

Back