Cinelli Supercorsa, Let's Try Again Shall We

The Tornado Targa saddle looks too big in comparison with the tubes and the frame size, probably looks fine on something larger. So, as the last 3 builds all had special edition saddles I though we'd do the same with this. Brand new and modern this time but fairly classic looking, a Brooks Cambium C17 Denim. It's a touch lighter and you can see a a bit more variation than in the photo.

As the fabric is from donated old jeans I said what I didn't want, really faded or with very contrasty fold marks, didn't want a blue zebra look.

It just arrived, number 112 (as with others marked on the front rivet), and looks good, just enough variation and dark enough. The Brooks badge at the back isn't anodised so just had to give that a really quick polish, makes the lettering pop out a bit more.

Got a free pair of plugs, think as I'd signed up to their newsletter.

Had thought about a C15 but think this will work better.

The 38cm bars and 90mm stem are both too small, need to swap to a 44cm and 110mm.

Also decided I wanted a bit of colour so going to change the bar tape, probably like my Adroit, which sounded like a strange choice but looks good in the flesh. But not totally decided yet.

Attachments

• Saddle-f.jpg
    Saddle-f.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 659
Skynet":3030fja6 said:
Anyone who has the fairing style bottom bracket, do you put bare cables through as normal or are you meant to have some sort of outer on where it goes through?

For an expensive frame you'd think they could clean the crap out of the bottom bracket threads.

Depends.
If you're going to use the bike once a year or hang it on the stand, then put some PVC liner. You can find it at Maplin or RS Components, choose the 1.3-1.4mm ID, they've choice of colors

But if you're going to use the bike for real, there's no need to. The BB shell is smooth enough to avoid any friction that should be taken into accounts. Furthermore, the PVC sleeve will collect dirt with time, so from being "very smooth" in the beginning, wear and crap getting in, will make it "very rough".

Thanks, decided not to use anything.

Need to swap bars and stem for the wider & longer ones that have arrived re-tape, obviously. Not 100% sure about the new tape colour but it will do for now, not buying any more.

Also still need to finish rebuilding the Record SL pedals but my brother was having problems with the bearings staying in place. Not had a go yet so not sure exactly what he means. For now it has Look PP396 Jalebert's on.

The groupset really suits it.

The 28c Clement Stradas do fit, look huge from the side when you're used to seeing 23's though. Looks as though they're not 28mm wide, on these rims at least, more like 26.

The Brooks saddle suits it much more than the Tornado Targa which looked far too bulky on the small frame. Think the spoiler made it look more so but they're quite deep anyway.

So will hopefully be finished next week and will take a pic or two.

Re:

My brother came over on Sunday and the last couple of things were finished. The saddle, bar height etc will probably need fine tuning. Think the bar tape is too slippery to have so much of an angle on the bottom of the drops too.

Much prefer my polished bars and stem. Big difference when they're side by side but they are just too narrow and short. So have gone from 90mm 1A/38cm Criterium to 115mm 1A/44cm Giro. Could have stripped the new ones but would have been a bit silly.

The Brooks tape colour looks OK, will look better once it's worn in. It's not as bright as the pics make it seem.

My brother's going to take the Campag pedal over to Harry Rowland and see if he can work out what's wrong.

The Look pedals just didn't suit the bike so we've put on the Grafton Speedtraps which are really for my Adroit.

They're NOS and I polished them up a bit, 2 minute job. They're without the clip in gubbins and we had to file the strap holes ever so slightly to fit in the Binda straps. Think I like them more than the Campags but the Campags will go back on if it ever go back together.

I added the Elk hide shoe protectors before getting the straps. If I'd know I might have bought black but they match the lettering on the straps, so look OK. So if anyone asks it was done on purpose! The clips are Velo Orange, simply down to £10 vs £50+ for Campag.

The Saddle's just a dark enough shade of blue not to look bland. Much lighter and it would have been too close to the frame colour.

We decided to keep the brakes the right way around. The cables do look a bit nicer crossed but it would be the only bike setup like that so thought it best not to. 10 minute job to switch if we change our minds.

Like I said the tyres look huge when you're used to seeing 23's but you soon get used to them. Think it's mainly down to the amount of tan showing, if there was more black it wouldn't be so obvious.

The water bottle's modern and nothing special at all in itself but Roman Hermann kindly sent some when I bought parts from him that went on to the Merlin. He was winning 6 day races in 1981, the year of the groupset, so it sort of has a connection.

It's not been ridden in anger yet but seems nice and stable , angles are 72.5°/74.5°.

Anyway, all in all I think it looks quite smart.

Next will be to do the flat bar, sit up and beg version. Need to decide on bars but think North Road style.

Click for full size on Flickr
Excuse the messy background, couldn't find anywhere nice with the sun where it was.

Wow, it's coming up nice.

I'm still not convinced of the red Brooks tape matched to the Cambium saddle. Nor the brake levers set very high (can't see how to grab them while being on the drops), but "the gustibus non disputandum est" :cool:

Thanks.

Not 100% sure about the tape either, works better on a darker blue but it's not so bright in real life, it looks very red in the pics, and will darken further.

We did try the levers lower but it wasn't comfortable holding the hood then, the bend on the bar dug in to your wrist. Think that's probably down to being totally different shape to the moderns levers, much bigger dip on the top. You can still reach them on the drops, but only 2 fingers. Will find out after a decent ride. Think the saddle will need to got up a bit and the bars down a bit too.

Oh wow. Beatiful. Love the frame. Like the red tape.

But I have to say this: the Cambium is just totally wrong. Sorry.

And the bottle. Why is the bottle in those pics.

Everything else. Beatiful stuff.

Re:

Thanks.

Was half thinking about swapping the Cambrium for my brother's Storika, but I do like it. It's not particularly faded looking in real life. The Storika probably goes better with the tape though, but the idea of the Cambrium was as much about comfort as anything.

The bottle I explained before, nothing at all special in fact dirt cheap, just has a connection to the S.Record era.

Latest posts

Back