Chris King woes

Pretty sure it's not the scuff washer as I don't always use one. The rubber ring is the only part that comes into contact with the steerer, and it moves slightly each time you turn the steerer, rubbing and rubbing until you get that Chris king line on your steerer.

No arguement that thamey aren't nice headsets quality wise, but that part of the design is pretty rubbish, all to do with not wanting to pay royalties on the compression ring so the story goes.

It’s usually because the steerer isn’t completely square cut , or needs a little filing to make it nice.

You can take the CK compression ring apart and put it on in individual parts and then compress back together

Pretty sure it's not the scuff washer as I don't always use one. The rubber ring is the only part that comes into contact with the steerer, and it moves slightly each time you turn the steerer, rubbing and rubbing until you get that Chris king line on your steerer.

No arguement that thamey aren't nice headsets quality wise, but that part of the design is pretty rubbish, all to do with not wanting to pay royalties on the compression ring so the story goes.
Although I have owned a CK headset briefly, it came used with a frame and was of course missing the scuff washer. I actually though that the washer was meant to go between the top bearing and the bearing cap or something but having just looked at the manual I see its rightful place is in fact ontop of the bearing cap so agree, it won't be it causing the damag.

I'm anal about alignment of logos on headsets and never noticed mine spinning around the steerer.

I'm sticking with it being that bottom edge (and/or the top edge) of the bearing cap fretting against the steerer.

It's no surprise that every headset they've brought out since the patent on the compression ring/wedge expired has had one.

To be fair, I remember it feeling pretty crap with the actual ck bearing cap so I didn't run it for long before swapping in one from a cheap sealed headset that had a compression wedge so I never got the marks on my steerer and may not have ran it for long enough to notice the cap creeping around.

It’s usually because the steerer isn’t completely square cut , or needs a little filing to make it nice.

You can take the CK compression ring apart and put it on in individual parts and then compress back together
This looks like an earlier headset that is pre-griplock, it won’t have that compression ring assembly.

I had a similar issue when trying to install mine & decided to just wait until I get the actual fork that’s going to be staying on the bike, figured it’d be less headaches all around.

Back