DX Thumb Shifter Top Cap - 3D Print

MSYT

Retro Guru
Hey folks. Thought I'd share something I've recently knocked up - might be of use to someone!

I've had a pair of DX thumbies on the side missing top caps for ages but recently I bought a set that didn't feel right. Turns out the cap for the front shifter had been levered off / broke off without removing the screw and glued back down... Glue everywhere. I decided I'd try and recreate the top caps at work and see if I could get some 3D printed.

Trying to be as accurate as possible... I've got the square to round profile of the screw insert and tried to get everything else as close as possible. Unfortunately the 3D printer I'm using as the moment hasn't printed out the bevel on top as I wanted it but apart from that... they're a nice tight fit! The "skirt" is extended a bit further down the shifter too to close up the gap slightly.

I've only got blue material at the moment but if anyone needs a pair in the future - give me a shout and I'll get a set printed (for some pizza money ;) )

IMG_9550.jpg IMG_9551.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9525.jpg
    IMG_9525.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9496.jpg
    IMG_9496.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9524.jpg
    IMG_9524.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9494.jpg
    IMG_9494.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9518.jpg
    IMG_9518.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
good work. likely 1 of the few parts of a thumbshifter that suffers over the years. when the topcap is damaged, but the plastic is intact, i've seen people glue on old penny coins/ quarters before, which looks better than you'd expect.

Have you thought about releasing the STL files ? I have a 3 d printer, been looking for this exact thing for ages. I would pay a small fee for this.

Back