Cheap mystery fillet brazed from USA

If it wasnt for the seat clamp/ hite-rite mount positions, I'd say S&G Araya

Screenshot_2014-02-04-15-32-15-1_zps6ca47702.png

A close look says the main guts of the frame is identical with 'only' the top tube cable guide for the rear brake in a different position.

Further detailed examination shows the downtube guides are the same, but rear mech guide is on top of the stay for the S&G and the rack mounts are missing for the Jamis. The rear brake bridge looks to be the same.

Just bear in mind, this is very early on in MTB production so not a lot to chose from for mass producing a frame unless you manufactured your own drop outs. guides/ bridges etc.

*it was those distinctive flattened stays where they meet the seat cluster that made me think of the S&G frames.

Taking into account the ebay pic , angles and so-on, the Jamis frame looks to have a less slack head tube

$_57.JPG

Re:

A couple more images that I've found of an 80's Jamis Dakar

Not the same as mine either :roll:

legrandefromage":550um2pe said:
*it was those distinctive flattened stays where they meet the seat cluster that made me think of the S&G frames.

Taking into account the ebay pic , angles and so-on, the Jamis frame looks to have a less slack head tube

Agreed. It's hard to gauge the head angle without it being built up, but it does look steeper than even that on my 86 Dakota.
The Dakars of this period also had the same flattened stays.

I've emailed some pics to Jamis. There is still one guy left there who was woking for them in the 80's, so hopefully he'll be able to help.

Re: Re:

makster":xd4a2n2e said:
I'm 99.9% sure this is an 85/86 Dakar

:oops:

It would seem not!
Had some great feedback from the oldest current Jamis employee today.
He sent me a much better pic of an 85' Dakar, and also pointed out the bits on my frame that don't tally.
Here's the pic....

So....anyone interested in an 80's fillet brazed frame?? :roll:

Re:

Maybe.
I'll start a separate thread in the chat section, and see if anyone can shed any light on it

Re:

The plot thickens!

Sorry to hear it turned out not to be a Jamis but everyone loves a mystery frame!

Re: Re:

makster":3uer4ixz said:
makster":3uer4ixz said:
I'm 99.9% sure this is an 85/86 Dakar

:oops:

It would seem not!
Had some great feedback from the oldest current Jamis employee today.
He sent me a much better pic of an 85' Dakar, and also pointed out the bits on my frame that don't tally.
Here's the pic....

So....anyone interested in an 80's fillet brazed frame?? :roll:

Maybe :LOL:

Back