Chas Roberts Genesis Ptwos

Braising is not the best way to join tubes and the heat can warp the thin metal.

Thats my knowledge run out!

Heres a close up to look at. The 'scratch' goes under the paint...

Attachments

• cracky.JPG
    cracky.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 183
  • cracky.JPG
    cracky.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 180
mfhxgram":19fr76bu said:
legrandefromage":19fr76bu said:
A local frame builder tells me that this could be an overheated headtube and with no re-enforcing rings and silly lightweight road tubing it was always destined to fail...

people may be able to educate me here - does this not look like a deep scratch? agreed it follows the brazing but does the mark not continue up the headtube?

Also theres plenty of other CR bikes on here...why the destined to fail statement? lightweight yes but ive not seen many cracked :?

The truth is, despite some incorrect comments ref the tubing specs, im confident you wont know for sure its a crack or a deep scratch until its bought, at the start bid, its cheap enough to take a chance and if a crack have a frame builder repair and repaint.

FWIW, the Hardisty and the White Spider Ultralight both use Superlight road tubing, The WS has even had tubes manipulated and machined with a specific intention of only being used for one seasons racing, and yet neither have failed, but I guess, Roberts cycles as a general rule don't go out of there way to over heat headtubes anymore than anyone else.

its the same old story I guess... its a lot more to do with how a frame has been used, treated, abused even, with regards to how it will stand the test of time.

legrandefromage":h8itiqvr said:
Nobody's perfect you know, even if their surname is Roberts. Its cracked.

Agreed, do you remember the Roberts I bought off a member here, it looked a little tired shall we say, I took the paint back to fifteen rust holes, It went for the chop, or that blue Overburys you bought with the bent forks... :shock:

Back