Chas Roberts frame identification help wanted..

narcotitlan

Rocky Mountain Fan
This Here:
Bit of a tired looking Chas Roberts frame, and not so cheap either. I like it though, wondering if anyone could help with frame ID?

Seller says it’s 45cm ctc seat tube and 54 top tube. 700c wheels and 130 rear spacing.

But… can that be right? That would make it a tiny frame and the head tube says otherwise.

Could it be a 26” tourer/early mtb? It does have down tube MTB style slots rather than gear lever braze-one…

I’ve emailed the seller asking about tyre clearance, not heard back yet. All thoughts appreciated,

thanks!

5C4CCD61-210A-4B82-BA73-153E9EE12EA5.jpeg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
With 130mm (not 135mm MTB standard) spacing - yeah i'd think it would be a tourer or used for 26" wheels with 130mm road hubs. The rack eyelets as well. I believe Dave Yates made a 26" wheel touring frame with 130 spacing - called the Wayfarer. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/dave-yates-custom-wayfarer.426355/

Shorter top tube as well 54cm - usually a typical size on a medium sized road/touring frame for a 5ft8/5ft9/5ft10 medium sized man. Mtb medium sized top tube would be 56-57-58cm.

With 130mm (not 135mm MTB standard) spacing - yeah i'd think it would be a tourer or used for 26" wheels with 130mm road hubs. The rack eyelets as well. I believe Dave Yates made a 26" wheel touring frame with 130 spacing - called the Wayfarer. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/dave-yates-custom-wayfarer.426355/

Shorter top tube as well 54cm - usually a typical size on a medium sized road/touring frame for a 5ft8/5ft9/5ft10 medium sized man. Mtb medium sized top tube would be 56-57-58cm.
Could be right, shimano m730 first gen hubs and precursors were 130mm tho. And Rough Stuff seem to have down tube shifter braze-ons, unless this one was meant for bar-end shifters only? But yeah the top tube is pretty short - who knows. I guess what really matters is the tyre clearance

That Dave Yates is pretty nice!

Frame number looks to start 91, so a 1991 frame, therefore not really that early.
Don’t think it’s a traditional Roughstuff given the lack of downtube shifter bosses, plus only one set of bottle mounts. Plus they were predominantly fillet brazed.
Lugs and the R-engraved tops on seatstay are a slightly retro traditional look for a 1991 frame, really.
Horizontal dropouts are odd for an ATB frame.
Looking through 90’s brochures, there is the odd reference to an ‘Urban’ atb tourer with 700c wheels, if indeed this has those.
It’s quite charming in its mix of old/new, I’d have a slight concern with that rusty bottom bracket.

Back