Charlie Kelly and Joe Breeze to visit UK

Six of us made it to Nottingham and thank you for a really great evening. I'm curently re-living it through your book. My only regret is not being able to ride with you two in Sherwood Forest .
Thanks again, and all the best..
Rob

Re: Re:

Repack Rider":3o14qbno said:
plus our London tube guides and chauffeur, Jon, Grahame and Phil. I even wore my RB jersey.

If that chauffeur was driving a chappy old rover, then it was my wonderful brother
Hope he didn't bore you too much about how amazing his car is ;)

G

Re:

I enjoyed reading your account of your and Joe's UK visit. Thanks for posting it.

Indeed, outdoor adventure and meeting people with a common interest in cycling is still as life affirming as ever. Even if we no longer ride quite as fast as we used to.

I met you at Look Mum No Hands in London at the start of your tour. Did you ever track down Richard Grant? I did contact a couple of people that I thought might have his contact details but without success. The last I heard of him was when he wrote a couple of obituaries for Richard Ballantine back in 2013. Maybe Carlton Reid would know something?

"Arrived in Wendover and my host Lee Niven picked me up at the train station.
He had no trouble picking me out of the crowd of one person on the bench in
front of the station".

The above made me think of this picture taken in 1984:

Although I alerted Lee about your UK tour I couldn't come along to Wendover event and ride because I was flying out to Iceland early that morning. The Wendover woods near Halton where also home to the Wendover Bash events from 1984-1988 though this photo from the 1980s shows that the area is not always as dry and as mild as it was during your visit.

Attachments

• Wendover Station Circa 1984.jpg
    Wendover Station Circa 1984.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 481
  • Chilterns 1984.jpg
    Chilterns 1984.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 481
Re:

Repack Rider":2xb088gn said:
I have condensed the story of my 17 day UK expedition into 4000 carefully chosen words.

You can read it here.

This is ace Charlie - thanks for putting it together and sharing. (You've got a typo in P6, fifth paragraph, second sentence).

I haven’t had a bicycle adventure like that in decades, and sharing it with Joe Breeze took us both back to the ‘seventies
and ‘eighties when that was our life.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Back