Champix and smoking

Good luck Mr & Mrs HB

I gave up 4 yr's ago on the advice of the doctor. My Mrs was trying to get pregnant, trying for 11 years to be exact, the doctor at the IVF clinic said it would greatly benefit her chances of success if i quit smoking. So 31st Jan 05 i smoked my last one... She got pregnant that March and without the need for IVF, Best reason ever to give up and stay off them is my 3 year old daughter :cool:

One other thing i will say is don't substitute food for cigarettes, i put on 4 stone when i gave up and only this last 6 months have i managed to get it off and regain enough fitness to get out and ride.

Thanks for all your comments and encouragement chaps, much appreciated... and for what better reason Exbiker....congratulations!

It is the boredom/habitual smoking that is going to hard to counter...certainly don't want to substitute with mints or food....just gonna have to apply some good old fashioned will-power.

Was a bit 'fat and forty'...hence my return to cycling.....my 18 months plan is to be 'fit at fifty' :)

As hard as it might be, try cutting back on the booze this is a surefire way to introduce a moment of weakness.

Oh and keep this thread going so we can monitor and heckle your progress :D weekly reports at least.

I stopped about a month ago after a nasty strep throat infecton, so smoking was the last thing I wanted to do, got better and carried on not smoking.

Getting pissed is normally ok with the occassional "F*cking hell I could murder a ciggy!" moment to which I have succumbed a couple of times (It was an all day stag weekend session!) but ultimately felt crap the next day. The thing that made me think was that I could still feel the cigarettes two or three days later in my lungs, andI used to smoke all day long!!!

I coughed up loads of crap to begin with, and have occasional nasty headaches but the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. That is apart from the weird need to get utterly shitfaced and wanting to smoke a load of weed (which I stopped smoking properly a couple of years ago) every now and again... Or maybe that's just me!!!! :? :shock: :?

Apparently the need to eat more is only temporary as smoking does something weird with converting sugar into energy - stop smoking and your body craves food because your blood sugar level drops, so you eat, your body recovers from stopping smoking but you've got used to eating more so carry on eating more and get fatter. I put on three stone in three months when I tried to give up a few years back!

Best of luck to the both of you, it can be tough but it sounds like you're getting there!!! :D :D :D

kaiser":14kryi3j said:
As hard as it might be, try cutting back on the booze this is a surefire way to introduce a moment of weakness.

I know this is true for most smokers/ex-smokers but for some reason, drinking helps me not want to smoke!!

I guess its what ever works best for you, alcohol has never made me want to smoke!! But then again I'm also the only person I know who doesn't get the munchies when i drink!!

MrNero50":35xy4mod said:
kaiser":35xy4mod said:

I know this is true for most smokers/ex-smokers but for some reason, drinking helps me not want to smoke!!

Same happened with me when i gave up, I used to sit at home a night watching tv going stir for a smoke but if i got up and went for a pint in my local the craving would go even though everyone in the place was smoking.

Funnily enough...these tablets seem to be affecting my desire for a glass (or three) of wine in the evening too....
drinking water is so boring though.....don't want to drink tea or coffee at night....orange juice rots your enamel (not a problem for me though as most of my remaining 'teeth' are gold) .... squash is for kids.
Whats the perfect non-alcohol adult drink?

Back