Challenge Cycle and motor ltd ladies bike 1950-3

Gsouthee

Retro Newbie
HI all

I have been clearing my mums shed and in it she had a Challenge Bicycle. From what I can gather this is from the 50's, it has rod brakes, a 3 speed Sturmey Archer rear hub which the patent number suggests this is a 1950-3 model. It has Brampton pedals and crank. The brakes work and the gears all change after a little oiling.

What I want to know is this worth re-furbishing i.e good clean up, touch up the paintwork that is a bit scratched in places etc. New tyres and possible saddle as it rock hard.

It has not been used for at least 20+ years.

Any thoughts.

Cheers Gary

Re:

I mean is it something a little rare (not for resale) that might be a candidate for making roadworthy again.

I normally work in my classic cars and thought it may be fun to do.

Just don't want to waste time on a donkey, I have never heard of them but did find a little bit on the interwebby thing.

G

I suspect any bike from the 50s is now pretty rare and I wouldn't be surprised if film prop buyers need this kind of thing (I keep seeing bikes with Shimano gears and cable brakes in WW2 films) but can't imagine there is much of a resale market. I guess it's a bit like some utilitarian family car with cross ply tyres and drum brakes of a similar age. Nice thing to own (apart from when you need difficult to make, proprietary parts) but never going to challenge a 250 GTO at the auctions.

My first proper bike after playgroup had rod brakes and my dad taught me how to adjust them - which I shall never forget.
I think the key word in your last post was "fun". Reason enough, surely? Also the "challenge", obviously. :facepalm: I'll get my coat...

Fun it is then and tyres on order.

Oh I am all good with rod brakes as having them on one of my cars.

Oh and your coat is on the hook awaiting.

G

Latest posts

Back