Chainset Removal. It's stuck :-(

I've been riding mine with the bolts out for some time without success. About to try more 'persuasive' approach to the problem. Previous posts full of ideas which I'll try. What type of gear/hub puller did you use? Was it one of the 'three arm' types?

Have removed over 600 arms on bikes in the basement shop mostly on 11-20 year old bikes, a few of them M569's but I have never failed to get one off. Owning the right tools and threading the remover in as far as possible (using them correctly) you should never have an issue. Toughest crank ever was a old cottered crank on a Motobecane that was steel on steel but with patience, penetrating oil and a wedge even that came off.

gm1230126":37hmcjke said:
Have removed over 600 arms on bikes in the basement shop mostly on 11-20 year old bikes, a few of them M569's but I have never failed to get one off. Owning the right tools and threading the remover in as far as possible (using them correctly) you should never have an issue. Toughest crank ever was a old cottered crank on a Motobecane that was steel on steel but with patience, penetrating oil and a wedge even that came off.

I've removed countless cranks too, but never one of these (hence the reason I asked if it was different). I do own the right tools (decent crank extractor). I threaded it in as far as it would go and, thanks to the fact that the crank is stuck on coupled with the fact that the crank threads may as well be made of chocolate, I stripped them.

The crank is now beyond repair so I'm going to get a hacksaw to it. The only trouble is, the outer and middle chainrings are still attached thanks to the way that the crank is designed, so it might be a little trickier than usual.

This bike has been nothing but trouble!!! :roll:

michael franks":3natmakp said:
I've been riding mine with the bolts out for some time without success. About to try more 'persuasive' approach to the problem. Previous posts full of ideas which I'll try. What type of gear/hub puller did you use? Was it one of the 'three arm' types?

Yes, it was a 3-arm one which put so much pressure on the spider and chainrings (I couldn't get a better hold on anything) it's bent them all to s**t.

LX

don't forget guys, the threads are dead so, pointless being nice to the metal as they can't realistically be used on another bike. unless they go on a pub bike etc....

I can recommend tungsten carbide ;)

One hacksaw and 5 replacement blades purchased from my local ironmongers (£4.50 - bargain!)... Currently sat in my office drawer and coming home with me tonight.

I've got to cut each of the spider arms first, so that I can slide the outer/middle chainrings off (stupid design means that the outer ring is rivetted to the spider, which is secured to the crank arm via a circlip, at the back of the crank arm which can't be removed unless the crank is taken off!), and then I'm going at the crank arm/bb interface and cutting it as close as possible. Then it's time for brute force and ignorance :LOL:

That crank will wish it had never met me :twisted:

bbb

you tell it, barney!

once the thick of it has fallen to the floor you will be surprised how the rest of it is teased off. the small amount of metal surrounding the bb axle stretches very easily and off it pops. :cool:

Hopefully I'll be able to post up a picture of the stricken crank arm later on tonight.

Either that, or there will be a "help, I seem to have cut my fingers off" thread appearing somewhere on RB!

Good Luck!

Don't forget goggles and gloves - Don't learn safety by accident ;)

I used one of these when I was in exactly the same situation.

Completely over tooled as it cut through the crank arm & BB in a matter of seconds - nearly made it to the frame :shock:

0601364041.jpg

Back