Chainset Removal. It's stuck :-(

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm not having much luck trying to get the drive-side crank arm off my bike. The chainset is a 1998 LX (FC-M569).

I've stripped the crank arm threads when I tried to remove it with the crank extractor, and now I've got a bearing puller to it and have managed to bend the chainring AND the spider. Luckily it's going to be thrown out now so it's not the end of the world.

It's a regular square-taper crank, but the outer chainring is fixed to the crank arm (rivetted to the spider). I wondered if Shimano had come up with an equally "genius" invention to secure the crank arm to the BB axle, and whether I'm missing something, or doing something wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated. My last resort is to get the hacksaw/angle grinder on it...!

M569 crank doesnt have anything special or unique to removing it.

I once had a crank do exactly the same though, i ended up blowtorching it.

cce":34oiltwx said:
M569 crank doesnt have anything special or unique to removing it.

I once had a crank do exactly the same though, i ended up blowtorching it.

Glad to know I'm not doing something wrong then! Ah well, hacksaw it is!

the long winded way is cutting/blow torching etc. the proper way is to go and pay a shop to use a crank extractor that cuts a new thread that is deeper than the original that has stripped, think it is called a steiner tool.

one of my lx m569 arms on my proflex is the same, must be a bit soft on the alloy.

Try heating up the area of the arm around the taper.
The material of the arm will heat up quicker than the spindle and should loosen off. It'll still need some brute force though.
It's worked for me in the past ;)

stuck

i've dealt with a similar thing.

get choppin! a good hacksaw blade will do.

this is an example of a non-drive arm which had knackered threads and a sheared bolt on the bb spindle. then it met me ;)

waste is unavoidable but some things are replaced easy enough to save the frame for future use.

1. cut down as near as poss to spindle. you dont have to touch it but 2mm adrift will do. then rest!

2. grab the offending crank/arm at pedal end and rock it up and down and it slackens rapidly as it stretches the alloy.

see how you go.

Attachments

• Photo-0065_e1.jpg
    Photo-0065_e1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 966
  • Photo-0066_e1.jpg
    Photo-0066_e1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 966
Get a large spanner/adjustable wrench in behind it, around the bottom bracket spindle if it allows and hit that with a hammer HARD!

or if the bottom bracket allows, take the cup out of the other side, WD40 etc the crank/spindle interface. Fit a bolt in so there is still some gap.
Then welly the bolt directly and so using the bottom bracket/frame to do the pushing.

(no method actually tested by me, I just made them up)

Back