Chains....

Jimmy oldskool

Breezer Fan
Feedback
View
What's everyone running and what are recommendations for our retros if a modern replacement is to be sourced?

I'm after a couple of new ones and was wondering what experiences/ opinions people had?

KMC for me as first choice, Z or X series depending on tartyness.
then SRAM PC8xx/9xx ones.
Ok, between these two brands it's price, chains seem to be more expensive again.

Also have some 9sp versions and use them on 8speed too.

But the other brands also seem fine too like YBN

What are the quality 8 speed chain options? My son is going through PC830 chains in under 600 miles and that’s road riding! He does oil them and keep them reasonably clean.

What are the quality 8 speed chain options? My son is going through PC830 chains in under 600 miles and that’s road riding! He does oil them and keep them reasonably clean.

As much as I dislike Sram, I have to say I like their 870 and 890 chains (and good old Sedis) and never had any problems with durability. I use Connex chains on a couple of bikes and they are very decent, particularly the pricey stainless version. Rohloff were excellent, but practically unobtainable now…

KMC or SRAM are my go to.
On the subject of chains & retro (7sp) it seems 7/8/9 have become the same chain now in terms of compatibility. But a few of the manufacturers no longer honor the old 7sp width, so I can't get a quicklink connector to fit proper 7 speed chains. Anyone else found this?

Back