Chain lube!

I wouldn't use ATF... it's dearer than motor oil and will attract just as much dirt.

TW85 - how clean do things run with the Castrol Chain Wax?

Well it's only been a week since I did it, and I've only been out in the rain once or twice, but the new-ish chain still looks near enough new.

When I put it on my motorbike, I rode from November through the whole of the last crappy winter to March, and only reapplied it twice or maybe three times during the winter. I had some surface rust after the really snowy week, but that came off with a wire brush and a wipe and things were fine again.

Motorbike chains take a real hammering compared to pushbikes, I think it's probably better than you actually need. I'll probably get a new can when I finish this one, it's about £8 from Halfords and should last a good 6 months to a year. And it comes with a cool straw adapter

OldFatTi":1m2a5pdd said:
I wouldn't use ATF... it's dearer than motor oil and will attract just as much dirt.

As for price - at the quantities used on bike chains, probably not that relevant - and probably cheaper than many bike chain lubes (and I guess I should add that if you drive an auto, and change the ATF yourself, you may well have stacks of the stuff hanging around in the garage...)

My other reasoning being it has anti-corrosive properties (compared with engine oil).

i use old engine oil through the winter . got loads of the stuff i havnt poured down the drain yet :p so might as well put some in a syringe and add a drop every other day . bike gets covered in mud anyway so cleanliness isnt an issue ( oil goes on the inside )

my current £3 chain has kept the chainring and sprocket turning for about 3 months so far so no complaints

Back