Central Heating Advice

You are correct that the HW that goes to the taps is completely seperate from the CH, but that is irrelevant. My point was that the boiler-heated water that heats the HW tank is the same as the water that goes round the rads. SO, if you set the boiler to HW only, there is often a back flow path around a couple of rads. Geddit?

My own system is currently solid fuel with a parallel bottled gas boiler to supplement the fire. It requires bleed rads to stop the solid fuel boiler overheating, add in the parallel boiler & there are lots of opportunities for back flow. So it goes, not a problem, I know what it is but won't spend the money & time to install one-way valves.

It's actually all pretty simple really.

Back2Bikes":r1yqfiio said:
You are correct that the HW that goes to the taps is completely seperate from the CH, but that is irrelevant. My point was that the boiler-heated water that heats the HW tank is the same as the water that goes round the rads. SO, if you set the boiler to HW only, there is often a back flow path around a couple of rads. Geddit?

If you have 3 way valve installed (pretty normal run of the mill system) this will move across and shut off the CH flow, not sure how you will get back flow ? unless you are talking about heat going back up the return when the pump is off, tho the boiler would not be running

I would not fit any NRV's to any CH system ... get it wrong and you make a nice bomb !

Back