Cassette slipping

bigdavevw

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi everyone! Think my cassette is slipping, Sometimes when i change gear, the cranks can sudenly spin round a bit, chucking me forward, annoying on climbs :twisted: It makes like a loud cracking noise when it does this, also when im practicing trackstands and retcheting the pedals, it does it then.

Is this cassette slipping or chain slip? The cassette is a 9spd Sram number.

cheers!! :cool:

Yep i thought that, no idea how old it,ll be, maybe 2005, but it would have had a hard life :LOL: think i,ll whizz it off and clean it.

dave :cool:

The last time that happened to me, it was a new chainring, cassette & chain. If it's only doing it on one ring, that's a giveaway.

Do you use spray lube (GT85 etc)? It tends to work its way down and wash out the grease from freehubs - then they get rusty inside and die.

I went through 4 shimano freehub bodies before finding this out... :oops:

Hi Hamster, yea i,ve gave it a wee blast of wd40 before but it didn,t make any difference, i,ll try again tho :cool:

bigdavevw":3c0a736z said:
Is this cassette slipping or chain slip? The cassette is a 9spd Sram number.

cheers!! :cool:

Hi Dave,

Could be your freehub failing, allowing the cassette to rotate in the wrong direction, or it could be the chain slipping on the cassette if either/both are worn. To determine which, You need to establish if the cassette is rotating when your cranks suddenly shoot forward. Try marking the cassette with chalk, then pusing on the cranks hard with your brakes on. When the chain slips, has the cassette moved with it?

Latest posts

Back