Carrera karakoram

Looks good to me, and love the paintwork on these early ones. the road looking stem and modern bar ends seem odd choices, but if its ridden and enjoyed theres a lot to be said for it, I can remember a mate of a mate having a Kraken I think that was back in the day.. decent built bike.
I was riding Falcon or similar parts bin / skip bikes in my early teens.
I can remember what it felt like to get alloy wheels and a lighter frame etc on a trek no dissimilar to this.. a whole new world.
Enjoy it, and welcome, you may find visiting here becomes a catylist for more bikes and knowledge you didn't know you needed!

I quite like the stem: it gives it a purposeful, racy look. What are the tyres on there?

(BTW, you might want to change the thread's title from 'karakoram' to 'Krakatoa'.)

Definitely, parts-bin and tip-rescue bikes are my favourite kind. Definitely agree with enigma though coming on here has led me from an old Peugeot 700c fixie thru a couple of Marins and then momentum picked up and in the last couple of months we're now home to a few GT's (Outpost, Palomar, 2x Chucker), Saracen Traverse, Shogun Tufftrail, Base Bikes SJ26 and Giant Escaper. That's not the end though, there's a couple more GT and one Kona full bounce coming this way soon too... It's not the bikes that are a problem, it's not having enough space for all the bikes we need! ;)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product pictured out on the trail in BOTM, if you dare get it dirty again after all the polishing. (This is part of the problem, you need bikes to keep nice and bikes to get dirty, then ones for climbing and ones for descending, ones for going to the shops, ones for longer trips etc etc etc the list goes on..... Again, the problem is space to keep them all, definitely not too many bikes)

Definitely, parts-bin and tip-rescue bikes are my favourite kind. Definitely agree with enigma though coming on here has led me from an old Peugeot 700c fixie thru a couple of Marins and then momentum picked up and in the last couple of months we're now home to a few GT's (Outpost, Palomar, 2x Chucker), Saracen Traverse, Shogun Tufftrail, Base Bikes SJ26 and Giant Escaper. That's not the end though, there's a couple more GT and one Kona full bounce coming this way soon too... It's not the bikes that are a problem, it's not having enough space for all the bikes we need! ;)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product pictured out on the trail in BOTM, if you dare get it dirty again after all the polishing. (This is part of the problem, you need bikes to keep nice and bikes to get dirty, then ones for climbing and ones for descending, ones for going to the shops, ones for longer trips etc etc etc the list goes on..... Again, the problem is space to keep them all, definitely not too many bikes

Looking forward to seeing the finished product pictured out on the trail in BOTM, if you dare get it dirty again after all the polishing. (This is part of the problem, you need bikes to keep nice and bikes to get dirty, then ones for climbing and ones for descending, ones for going to the shops, ones for longer trips etc etc etc the list goes on..... Again, the problem is space to keep them all, definitely not too many bikes)
Thanks. I'm going to use it as a shopper pub cafe bike. Brooks saddle coming and riser bars I think it's just too low and too heavy for much beyond a towpath. Ill post a picture. What's the equation for how many bikes one needs. N= X +1 I think it is. There's never enough space

Attachments

• IMG_20231115_162254.jpg
    IMG_20231115_162254.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 13
Back