Carrera Banshee info?

rentedmule

Devout Dirtbag
I bought this entirely for a beautiful set of Hope Mono M4's that were on it but I'm having trouble finding any information on it. Every picture I find of a Carrera Banshee looks completely different than this. Anyone???

Carrera banshee by Rented Mule, on Flickr

The Carrera Banshee name has been used on several different bikes over the years. The first Banshee was an aluminium hardtail, which I think was followed by the version you have. At a guess this was early 2000s.
I'm pretty certain there were two versions of this design with differing rear suspension layouts, yours appears to be the 'faux-bar' layout, the other was a full four bar linkage with a chainstay pivot, aka Horst Link.

Later bikes had a conventional front triangle, with a short rocker and then from around 2007 they went to 6 inch travel and all full four bar linkages - Also sold as the updated 'Banshee X' and a sole 'Banshee XXX' models - these were really aimed as long travel freeride/dh bikes.

The latest Banshees are pitched more as XC bikes... would probably benefit a whole thread of photos.

Forks, wheels, shock, cockpit and drivechain parts all look to have been upgraded on your model. I think the frames are pretty decent and certainly worthy of better components.

Great, thanks for the info! It was a heavy beast but seemed like a good quality frame. I passed it on to a friend of mine after swapping the brakes - I'll see how it holds out.

I think it's from around 2002/3. The slightly earlier ones had the large C logo on the sides. Originally with cable discs fitted. I worked for Halfords from about 2005 and it slightly predated this time though we got them in for repairs. I had a 2004 Carrera fury and they had dropped the shadow on the Carrera text (as in your model) by that year.

large_IMG_6053.JPG

Interesting to see what they looked like in OEM spec. Mine clearly had a longer shock installed and it really made the geometry funky.

Back