Carlton Lightweight Restoration Project - Revisited

J.K_Rhodia

Retro Newbie
Hi All

Hope you're well - I posted a very long time ago, a thread involving the restoration of my Carlton Lightweight (pics attached). I made some pretty good progress and then life got in the way and the project took a back seat. Thankfully I've begun work again and ordering a few new parts. So far I've rebuilt bottom bracket with new bearings, axel and B cups, replaced bearings in pedals and replaced breaks and cables. I've bought and fitted a Shimano Tourney 6/7 speed deraulier (not sure if it's the best choice yet!) Thank you to everyone that has helped me out so far :)

I'm now in the market for a 700C wheelset with 5 speed cassette which I've made some enquiries for - has anyone bought from Golden Age Cycles in Oxfordshire before? If so - any good? If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be really grateful as I've found finding wheels either used or custom build - really tricky in the style I need (see pics).

One thing that has really stumped me on the bottom bracket rebuild is that despite finding what I thought are the correct size axel and B cups, the distance now between the crank arm and chain stay is so little that any play means it clunks the frame. At first I thought this was a B cup thread difference or wrong axel size, I've fashioned a frame alignment tool and everything seems to check out so I'm a little confused! Pic below - if anyone's had this issue before, I'd love to know what you figured.

Thanks all

Jo

IMG_0220.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2423 2.jpg
    IMG_2423 2.jpg
    947.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2418 3.jpg
    IMG_2418 3.jpg
    848.2 KB · Views: 13
Looks to me like you've got the left crank on backwards - the 'step' on the crank should face inwards towards the BB cup. Turn it around and you'll get a few more mm gap between the end of the crank and the chain stay. With the way you've got the crank fitted you're running some risk of clipping the BB end with your Medial Malleolus (the inner 'ankle bone'), something which is eye-wateringly painful.

Hi Jim, thanks so much for your reply - I'll get it turned around ASAP haha! So turning this around should prevent any clipping of ankles right?

Cheers

JC

Back