Carlton Identify? - domed seatstays & square eylets

Re:

Has the clip on the headset got any writing on it, Chater Lea or Brampton? Not every part had makers name on parts pre-after war it seems. These were mass produced frames and were offered at reasonable prices at the time so lugs basic but still could be a well known lug suplier? Any writing on the bottom bracket shell? Rounded rear seat stay tops it looks like in the Carlton catalogues I'm sure it is. Just which model.

I located a 1939 catalogue, and surprised to find this looks very like a Carlton. The lower spec frames had D to round fork blades. I thought Carlton would have been better than this, but they had a range of modestly priced bikes. Post war no headclips, so it seems likely 1939 carlton.
The catalogue illustrations are not really clear enough on the detail.

Keith

I agree, and most other replies do too.
I'm happy to go with something like the Carlton Royal Sports or the '73' (will need to measure the fork angle), fairly bog-standard frames albeit with Reynolds 531, but it's certainly stood the test of time.
Will clean it up a bit more and take some better pictures. Might leave it as a single-speed since that's what it was originally but put it back to drop-bars and a nicer chainset.

Back