Carlton Identify? - domed seatstays & square eylets

Re:

Beat me to it Shaun. Head tubes with swaged out ends to take bearing races and a headclip, headset were used up to the 1950s. Way before my time but seem to collect them now. Still alchemy how they work haha.

Re:

Just looking at the frame number stamping and 41 stamped, number punched, over the 2 and 9 I would guess its a 1941 frame.

Well, it obviously has a better heritage than I'd assumed. Trouble is, now I can't help thinking about putting it back to gears and period parts. It was just supposed to be a run-around for work. Although it's had a respray at some point and also has had the modern decals attached under a lacquer coat.

Spokesmann will be livid that it's been turned to a fixie!

Re:

Hi, if you assume that's a 'A' at the start of the serial number ( the fork should have it as well ), that would place it in 1939, my 39 flyer is A6352, I think the 41 may just be a 'painters' stamp, or a warranty fix by Carlton, just a few thoughts. Also, 'fixies' have been about since Victorian times so its not an issue, I'll be doing my flyer as a period time trail bike which will be fixed. Terry

Thanks for all the help. I'll go provisionally with somewhere between 1939-1941, although what model it was will take some further homework. I've just discovered 1930 and 1940's Carlton catalogues online which make interesting reading. A lot of models from Flyer to Royal Sports which could fit the bill.

However, does anybody know about fitting mudguards using these eyelets. Do I just cut down some normal stays to fit?

Re:

Hard to tell from the 1939 catalogue but looking at the fork crown detail on 1939 models. It could be a Massed start, "73" or Continental model?
Keep it fixed or if you wanted to go the resto route a 3 speed hub or gears.

Re:

Yes you can cut down the stays and the small bolts have holes in that clamp them. Eyelets on the frame.

Re:

I Don't know why, but I keep thinking Hercules, but the frame number looks wrong. Perhaps early post war. The D to round fork blades, lack of any finishing to the lugs, crude rear ends, something like the sort of thing hercules did as a "lightweight", and sold very few.
The mudguard eyes were for the Bluemels quick release type wingnut fitting with a flattened head on the bolt, so that it only had to be undone about 2 turns and would slide out. Popular late 30s to early 50s.

The seat stays to seat lug would be typical though.

Keith

Don't know about any of that Keith. Looks like bang-on early Carlton frame as far as I can see. Had a look at some early 40/50s catalogues and it's an absolute dead ringer. Any reason why you think it isn't?

Did Carlton do those domed seat stays, also the very cheap type inserted cups in the head lugs. Are the fork blades D to round, in the very cheap fork crown. I thought it looked like it in the pics.
Keith

Latest posts

Back