Carlton Gran Tour

Rebuld plans

So I took the bike apart, everything was easy and the frame's in great condition. Just a few chips, which I will chip painted.

Plan for the rebuild is tricky though. I want something really usable, and I don't have a full suntour groupset to use! So I was thinking of putting 700c wheels, modern derailleurs (I have some lying around) then silver/chrome headset bearings, quill stem, bars and seat post. For styling, a white saddle and maybe tan bartape. Then maybe some microshift sti shifters, I've never tried them, they might look out of place though?

Any thoughts of ideas welcome, or if anyone knows how to get a full suntour groupset without spending crazy money.

Re:

Hi Sam,
I have a Carlton Grand Tour. Same colour as yours. Has racing handlebars and gears. Plan to sell it but
obviously have to take some photos first etc.
Did you get anywhere with learning about it? I can see the comments from your post re year of manufacture etc.
Will dig mine out shortly.
Best regards, Howard

Re:

Hi Howard,
All I got to was that it was sold as a frameset in 1980 and made in Worksop. It's a lovely frame though, the full 531 ST is fantastic.
What size is yours? If it's small I'd be super interested in getting a matching one for my long suffering other half! Would love to see a photo either way.
Sam

It's a large frame will keep you posted. Is there a way on this site to exchange phone numbers or perhaps emails for direct photo
swapping etc?

Back