Carlton Continental

Had 2 hours on it today after work.

160720121441.jpg

160720121444.jpg

only thing that beat me was the drive side cup in the bb.

Also attacked a section of the front rim with wire wool.

160720121456.jpg

160720121457.jpg

I think i can re-use the rims, just replace the spokes if possible.

The bb was well packed with grease.

160720121443.jpg

all this came from it.

The axle and all bearing are in good nick, no damaged ones, so i'll clean and re-use them.

Unless you are planning to replace the fixed BB cup, leave it where it is. They are a major pain to remove and even harder to find a replacement (looks like, and most probably is, a Raleigh thread BB). As you say the bearings and axle are in good condition, just give 'em a good clean up, replace the grease and refit.

Braking with those rims will be, errr, interesting (at least by modern standards), but again will be fine as long as you know the limits.

The rest of it looks like it will clean up nicely, shame that paint finish doesn't stand up to the rigors of time as it is polishing up nicely and looks gorgeous.

FWIW you may be able to swap the BB axle from a cottered one to a square taper, which will give you a wider (and easier to find) choice of replacement chainsets when you come to replace it.

Nice to see one of these not being turned into a fixie.

"Nice to see one of these not being turned into a fixie."

That would be blasphemy to do that to this, a piece of my home towns history.

Yes it is a shame about the paint, but I'm planning on cleaning and polishing what i can of it and leaving as it is, I'll cover up the area where its gone through to the metal to protect it.

Was planning to leave that BB cup there as i don't want to damage it too much.
Going try a modern BB cup tomorrow night, just to see if it is a Raleigh thread or not, according to a couple of sites pre-1960 bikes had Raleigh threads, this being 1962 I'm hoping it hasn't.

I have a few square taper BB axles in my tool box, I'll see what there is that will fit, as i have a full exage 300ex group set (brakes, rear mech, front mech, shifters, levers, bio-pace crank set, possibly the wheels) that i could use and save all the original stuff so i don't fully wear it out.

Lovin this. Stick in there. The Acrylichrome finish must have been stunning when new, there is a sort of faded grandeur about the frame even now.

Back