Carlton Continental SS- Restored

Copeidge

Retro Newbie
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, hope you enjoy my bike.

I have a huge passion for all things old/mechanical/engines/cars etc and after moving to the big smoke a couple of years ago I've always struggled to maintain my tinkering hobbies due to space and cost of a unit.

I ride a 80's Peugeot SS as my daily commuter and thought it was about time to buy a little project.

onto the Carlton.

Found this on Gumtree from a local guy and immediately fell in love with the frame and the graphics.

I was in 2 minds whether or not to sell up as it was or to try a full refurb. Made the decision to got for a full refurb, while retaining alot of the bike's character and original patina.

Started by stripping the frame down and getting rid of all the nasty bits. Made a spray booth on the balcony

I masked over the original stickers and gave it a fresh coat of colour

after the colour coat I removed the masking and then touched the sticker up with a chrome nail varnish where it had a small nick.

then applied a clear coat over the whole frame. I tend to heat the frame and the paint and then use 2 thick coats instead of many light coats. This is because spraying lacquer from a can usually gives a satin orange peel finish in light coats- the thick coats ensures you get a super glossy finish, you just have to watch for runs!

this is the frame finished, really happy with the results!

stripped, re polished and rebuilt some vintage Wienmann brakes

Then onto a Campag wheel set and single speed from Gussett, nice quality but a little pricy. New gum wall tyres and tubes

As the week went on I was on eBay and gumtree every night sourcing suitable parts.

modified the stem so it would sit lower in the frame

Then on to the bars. Again wanted to keep things pretty retro I went with some black cotton bar tape. It was my first time wrapping bars so took a couple of goes!

got the brakes hooked up with a small trigger

I really wanted an old suede racing seat so picked this up local from eBay.

its a Iscaselle Cortina suede seat. It arrived and it was pretty smooth but managed to get the nap back with various grades of wet and dry.

Then that brings me to today!

got everything finished up last night so I took it to work today (2 miles) and it rides like an absolute dream! lovely and smooth. too some pictures over my lunch break.

and thats pretty much everything! I finished the build last night and its taken me just over a week to complete. Really took my time and wanted to make it as perfect as possible while still retaining the bike original character.

I'm over the moon, hope you guys like it :)

Smart, is the head tube lugless? Can't ever remember back Carlton like that. For small frames they usually cut down the lugs..

Shaun

Carlton did some fillet brazed stuff for Cyclo cross I believe. In terms of this build, I love the frame. Opportunity lost.

A lovely job, and I like your spray booth too! I do like the minimalist lines of a fixed-wheel bike with just one brake. Your using a Carlton road frame for fixed reminds me of a favourite bike of mine back in the 1960s. In 1965 I built a fixed bike up from a Carlton Connaught frame that I had previously used with 5-speed gears, and used it to ride to school, training and for club runs in flatter terrain. I used 72 inch in summer, and 65 or 68 inch in winter (that was a 48T chainring with 18, 19 or 20T sprockets) Back then riding fixed was popular with many cycling club riders, and I would still be riding one but I now live in mountainous terrain.

Those cranks aren't in proper alignment ie 180 degrees apart, must ride oddly.

It looks like the cotter pin on the chainset is put in the wrong way, but the other one is OK. The cranks look out of alignment in the first pic, before the frame was sprayed, so the misalignment due to incorrect cotter pin fitting was there before Copeidge bought the frame.

Back