Carlton Bike from the 70's ? Looking for some informations !

Thanks for your response Spokesmann !
According to the badge and the hood I will say Corsa.

What do you think about the paint ? Doesn't looks like a Carlton paint finish, really dull, Midlife was saying it may have been resprayed.

Saddly :( I am gonna make it repaint if I have the budget :)

You'll see more updates on this post

Thanks Spokessmann !

Rear mech is possibly one of the 'Prestige' models which, over time, had more and more metal bits added so overcome the plastic bits breaking! My (very) original 'Delrin' (all plastic) Prestige spectacularily exploded in early 1968 while sprinting for the Slough sign. Had to go to Dave Russell's shop (then in Slough market) to try and get a replacement.

I have one of those early Delrin Prestige mechs, truly awful, although it came off a 62 Carlton and was intact.

Spokesmann":xi50o0py said:
I have one of those early Delrin Prestige mechs, truly awful, although it came off a 62 Carlton and was intact.

When they were new they worked very well, IMHO better than the equivalent Campag mech at the time. I raced on mine for several seasons but, at that time, I suppose we weren't very aware of the effects of plastic degradation which is probably why there aren't as many of them (well, working ones anyway!) around these days compared to Campag Gran Sport mechs etc.

It may be a prestige, really don't know. But even if yes the simplex plastic is not really good and tend to break I find those derailleur really easy and quite smooth to use, most of the time I broke the front one (the clamp to the frame is really really bad), never broke a back derailleur (but I am not a prolific rider). The simplex on this bike is quite nice looking, I love the logo and the gold color.

Anyway I think I am gonna clean the bike as best as I can, all the parts have been cleaned and works great (I really love those weinmann brakes, have some Mafac in France which I love and really wonder how those are gonna brake !).

Re:

Hello guys,

A bit of news about this bike, sadly for the moment it has been converted into a single speed, I use it everyday to commute and it's a pleasure to ride. I will repaint it in the future but for the moment I don't have the time and the money.

Here are some pictures

Looks OK. Better than some single speeds I've seen! At least it is getting regularly used.

Back