Carerra subway2, are they any good?

Xerxes, thank you for your help, would it be worth buying one brand new then so I can look after it myself and keep it tidy?

Re:

Here are 2 examples of Boardman Hybrids local to you (assuming your location in your profile is correct!)

First, a pretty much brand new 2014 hybrid comp:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/chris ... 1069514357

Second, a slightly older hybrid comp but still an excellent example:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/excel ... 1068856455

For what it's worth, I'd go for a Boardman over a Carrera. Not because there's anything wrong with the Carrera, but because the Boardmans seem to walk away with top marks in just about every review they have..

Oh, and bear in mind that you'd more than likely be able to knock a good £50 of each of those prices at least, with a bit of bargaining. That would put the 2014 into the £350 range which is an absolute steal given the spec.

Similar vein but steel at least in near past is a Marin Muirwoods if you'd like an alternative USA choice over the C'Dale. Alternatively as a UK counter to the Carrera what about an Edinburgh Bikes Revolution Courier

Re:

would it be worth buying one brand new then so I can look after it myself and keep it tidy?

If you're using it in all weathers, there's no real substitute for better quality, more corrosion resistant/stainless parts. The Subway is OK, but I think you could do better for similar money if you look for something used. That Boardman for £295 that Barneyballbags linked to looks very tidy. As I said, I never rode or worked on my friends Boardman, but it looked to be a much nicer, better quality bike than the Carrera, it's a more expensive bike, so you would hope so.

Thank you all for the replies, BB, the second one at walls end is about an hour away from me, I looks nice too. I might pop into half ores and have a bit look at the boardman range and see what deals they have on. I really need to save my money before heading out to buy one at the min.

Re:

Well, as I sit here typing this I'm having a look over the Boardman which I bought for my better half and I honestly can't fault the spec, nor the finish of the frame itself. It looks like a much more expensive machine and wouldn't look out of place with much more expensive bits and pieces on it.

Re:

I think I'd sum up Carrera and Boardman like this:

The Carrera feels like a very good £300 bike (which it undoubtedly is) .

The Boardman (Hybrid Comp) feels like a very good £900 bike, which happens to cost £500..

Back