Carbon or Titanium... the impossible choice.

I have never ridden a carbon bike but I have seen too many expensive fishing rods break by an inadvertant and seemingly innocent knock.

You can repair titanium.

I have made the decision, I know what I'm buying but I value the opinions given and took it all into account before I made my choice.

Not bought yet, but buying. ;) I went with Carbon, the Ti was going to cost quite a bit more. Plus the different component choices as I had plans for both materials.

I have owned some nice Ti bikes and a couple of nice carbon framed bikes...

I'm a heavy dude, not a technical rider but can at times have a bit fun and treat a bike to a hard ride, never had an issue with either materials, in frames or components.

Both bikes will be stiff and light, the Ti absorbs shocks without you knowing it, but then again, carbon isn't as harsh as aluminium I found.

If your not a massive keen rider, either is a good choice, go with a decent budget though, exotic frames can vary hugely, from £400 to £5,000 with my experience, but can often ride similar!

They have to be mated with decent spec kit to get the most from them, otherwise you might as well have a decent steel frame.

This would've ticked all the boxes.....
http://www.rideon.co.uk/shop/ViewProduct.aspx?productId=709

prod_709.jpg

Ti frame with carbon top-tube and seat-stays :cool:

Russell":1cducuf0 said:
dyna-ti":1cducuf0 said:
The word from the bikey circuit is Titanium ;)

Which is why more than half of the top 20 (UCI) DH riders this year are on carbon frames right?

I don't reckon that is particularly on point.

Those bikes get fettled to the max, wrapped in cotton wool and looked over by experts, if they are re-used. Not thrown into the back of landies with the pram and golf clubs, loaned to mates for a burn or chained up to lamp posts.

Horses for courses.

Carbon really is not resilient when compared to Ti.

I ride carbon, but I don't trust a full carbon frame any further than I can throw one. Being fair that is quite far as I am quite a tosser.

I can find numerous examples of broken titanium 456 frames, including at least one on this forum.

I've been unable to find one broken carbon 456.

Considering it is so less resilient and more fragile, thats odd... don't you think?

Back