Canti and v levers an old chestnut on cable pull help!

The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Which way around is it? Can canti pull v or v pull canti?

which moves the most cable? I have something in the pipeline that I want to turn cx/gravel/road.

Road levers. I seem to remember they'll pull cantis fine but only micro v?

please can somebody with a better memory confirm all this?

thanks THM

I can remember when it was all fields around here............

Re:

Neither work well the wrong way round, I’ve tried.
V levers pulls the most cable.
Canti and Road levers will work ok with mini V but not perfectly. You do get road levers ( Cane Creek ifrc) that are designed for V brakes, but they need separate shifters.

Re:

V brake levers pull more cable and won't work with cantilevers.

You can run cantilever brake levers with V brakes. But you end up having to run the brake pads very close to the rim and the brakes do not feel as firm. A lot of lever travel needed to get them to contact.

Personally I run V brakes with cantilever brake levers and put up with tuning them carefully and making sure the wheels are dead straight. I prefer the feel and power of this set up but it does have problems.

HTH
Ed

Thanks guys. I have a nice '89 canti frame coming that will be an mtb meaning another of mine, a larger version with rear U brake and front canti will get the gravel/cx treatment with probably non period correct parts. So i'm looking to have to run canti levers so normal road will do it with bar end shifters. ????

V brake levers pull more cable

v brake levers work fine with cantis. They pull more cable, so you tend to get shorter lever travel, or the pads can be set further away from the rim. Never had a problem with this setup.

canti levers on v brakes you get not enough cable pull and they don't work very well, its hard to set them up to give enough pressure but not impossible.

agree, I ride Deore XT v brake levers with Deore XT cantis on one of my bike. It works fine. Similarly, I haven`t had any issues with that setup yet.
I don`t have experience with canti levers and v brakes.

The History Man":1ns8myo5 said:
i'm looking to have to run canti levers so normal road will do it with bar end shifters. ????

Aye, that’ll work fine.

RickTheUncivil":15be82aw said:
V brake levers pull more cable

v brake levers work fine with cantis. They pull more cable, so you tend to get shorter lever travel, or the pads can be set further away from the rim. Never had a problem with this setup.

canti levers on v brakes you get not enough cable pull and they don't work very well, its hard to set them up to give enough pressure but not impossible.

Force x distance

V levers as a result apply less cable tension. As a result you can often struggle to apply enough force at the brake end of things.

Back