Can you Identify this Frame ????????

Coach Jeff

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hey Team .... got this at a garage sale today for $5 and can't work out what it is.

Frame is alloy main tubes with steel seat stays and chain stays. Lugs are cast alloy and the tubes look like they are prssed or bonded into the lugs. Girvin Proforx with a Orbit headset. Came fitted with 7sp Alivio shifters and a Deore front mech. Sq taper BB.

Previous owner painted it with house paint and threw a bunch of stickers on it. (tried to tell me it was a Klein even though he had a Diamond Back sticker on it)

Bottom bracket is 74mm wide and rear dropouts are 135mm.
Serial Number on BB : BI 0393 and A5086153

629-e1402291911272.jpg

633-e1402292491972.jpg

638-e1402292570621.jpg

630-e1402291984590.jpg

631-e1402292069208.jpg

632-e1402292159873.jpg

Re:

hmmm - is that headtube fillet brazed? The seattube/seatstay lug is something I have never seen before. Rackmounts would suggest a low/mid range frame but if that headtube is fillet brazed then that is more high-end. Curious-er and curious-er said Alice

Either way with a 73mm BB shell and those very wide seatstays that is designed to take a pretty big tyre

Hotwheels.":8t3o5kc8 said:
Looks like a Klein Oakley to me, the Redline 'team' edition :facepalm:

..... that's what the dude at the garage sale said to me.

Love ya work hotwheels.

Re: Re:

ovlov440":37cw6uns said:
hmmm - is that headtube fillet brazed? The seattube/seatstay lug is something I have never seen before. Rackmounts would suggest a low/mid range frame but if that headtube is fillet brazed then that is more high-end. Curious-er and curious-er said Alice

Either way with a 73mm BB shell and those very wide seatstays that is designed to take a pretty big tyre

Hi 440 .

I don't think the front is fillet brazed ..... looks like a lug under all the paint. Will strip it over the next day or so and see what is underneath. The thing that has me confused is the combo of steel and alloy tubes with that huge cast alloy seat lug??

Does the BI 0393 stamped on the BB help at all. I reckon the 0393 may be March 1993? but I cant think of a frame with the intials BI

The giant cadex range is what you refer to. They did do alloy versions as well, but I thought they had wishbone rear stays, my cadex certainly did, and the stay lug arrangement looked a little more elegant.

Re: Re:

mattbrown":35awyh4j said:
I've seen that seatclamp on Giant Carbon bikes before, unless I'm mistaken.

Hey matt and ishaw.... yep looks very similar to the seat lug on the old giants, but this one is much bigger and roughly cast, and not as smooth or elegant as the giant ones. Driving me nuts trying to work it out.

The giants had plenty of other lugs too, bb, head tube etc so doubt it's one of those. A few other makes had almost replica versions such as alan, British eagle to name a couple. Maybe some did variants like this one?

Back