Can someone please explain the attraction of road riding?

"It's between Muchelney on the Somerset levels, and Long Load (I think) on the edge of the levels"
Thank you

mattr":1nk0h1jx said:
you need some more map reading skills. Even London based friends can find moderately empty lanes within striking distance. The UK actually has masses of quiet lanes that a huge number of people don't even know exist, let alone drive along them like cretins.

Empty roads? They're all full of cyclists! :)

I like road riding because of the wide views.
As mentioned before, I only like it where it is quiet and carless(ish) and fortunately there are a lot of quiet roads over here in Holland.
I ride a trekking bike with 35C tires with some grip, so can combine tarmac with gravel and sand roads.
It gives me a more relaxing exercise compared to MTB'ing.

Re:

Why do I like road riding?

I don't need a car to get to the start, my back door is the start

I get to make a journey and travel, so I ride through the gritstone areas of the northern peaks, through the southern white (limestone) peaks and back to my house

I don't need a change of clothes, else muddy the car seats, plus cos I don't have a muddy arse, I'm welcome in pubs and cafes

I can chat or banter as I'm riding with my buddies.

I can look up at the scenery instead of detailed looking a couple of metres in front for that next rock or tree root

I don't have to clean all the mud and water off my bike transmission as much as I would do with an MTB, and it all lasts longer and continues to work slick years later

I'm not having to ride up 1 in 2 gradients on a 36 back sprocket, hoping that my back wheel keeps traction and risk my nads, nor am I descending near-impossible descents, forever compensating and hoping that I don't crash

I don't get stuck for miles behind walking groups who feel they shouldn't give way

The bike looks classy, not like a motorbike without an engine

As for traffic, it's actually not that bad if you are confident and hold your own and make your intentions purposefully instead of wobbling round that parked car.
I got far more more animosity from walkers when I mtb'd than I do from drivers. There was always some walker up for an argument about how we shouldn't be there (on bridelways!) or how were chewing up the track. The worst was from some young women giving us an unjustified bollocking while her dog was loose intimidating sheep, despite all the dogs-on-leads signs. I can't be doing with rowing on leisure days

That may be so Pigman, but we MTBers dont plaster our nads with goose fat, then hold a conversation about it :LOL:

Re:

Why do I like road riding?

I don't need a car to get to the start, my back door is the start.
MTB can start from your back door, have some imagination.

I get to make a journey and travel, so I ride through the gritstone areas of the northern peaks, through the southern white (limestone) peaks and back to my house.
Again you can do that om an mtb both on and off road.

I don't need a change of clothes, else muddy the car seats, plus cos I don't have a muddy arse, I'm welcome in pubs and cafes
Never heard of mudguards ? Plus publicans who ban mtb riders are losing money.

I can chat or banter as I'm riding with my buddies.
So can I, not all tracks are single track.

I can look up at the scenery instead of detailed looking a couple of metres in front for that next rock or tree root
Have you seen the state of British roads ?

I don't have to clean all the mud and water off my bike transmission as much as I would do with an MTB, and it all lasts longer and continues to work slick years later
Anything you look after lasts, there are many road bike rust heaps.

I'm not having to ride up 1 in 2 gradients on a 36 back sprocket, hoping that my back wheel keeps traction and risk my nads, nor am I descending near-impossible descents, forever compensating and hoping that I don't crash
Nobody has to do that on or off road, thats a choice thing.

I don't get stuck for miles behind walking groups who feel they shouldn't give way
they have as uch right to be there as I, a little courtesy goes a long way.

The bike looks classy, not like a motorbike without an engine
On retrobike many mtb's look classy and not like motorbikes.

As for traffic, it's actually not that bad if you are confident and hold your own and make your intentions purposefully instead of wobbling round that parked car.
I got far more more animosity from walkers when I mtb'd than I do from drivers. There was always some walker up for an argument about how we shouldn't be there (on bridelways!) or how were chewing up the track. The worst was from some young women giving us an unjustified bollocking while her dog was loose intimidating sheep, despite all the dogs-on-leads signs. I can't be doing with rowing on leisure days
You dont get animosity from car drivers because most of the time they dont register your even there which as the OP stated is a major part of the problem.

To be honest I didn't like road riding down south where I was living I'd have to ride 20 miles to get to some decent country lanes I'd rather pack a change of clothes and drive 30 mile to the trail centre and ride my mountain bike. Now up North its a different world less traffic more choices and clean air and scenery to lift the sprit. I won't forsake my MTB and I may have to ride it 5 or so miles to get to a bridleway but now at least I am enjoying the road bikes again.

No matter what you ride enjoy it, if you don't like road riding don't do it and vice versa for MTBing and like a few of us we'll enjoy both and sod the snobbery one is not better than the other its just riding a bike at the end of the day FFS

Re:

Both me and my road bike are welcome back in the kitchen after a road ride in the winter.
There's not an increasing smell of eau de horse shit as the radiator kicks in ! :shock: :LOL:

I will still continue to do both, as and when the mood takes me. It's all riding and both types of riding puts a smile on my face. And that's all that matters really

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":pyy94k88 said:
It's all riding and both types of riding puts a smile on my face. And that's all that matters really

Mike

I couldn't agree more Mike ;) and tbh i'd love to get another road bike as i do miss my old Dawes Celeste but i've no pennies to buy another bike or shed to put one in but yes the open road in some areas can be a real thrill to traverse on a road bike and also helps the fitness levels too when you can't venture off road ..

fattiman":2wm0ygou said:
I just don't get it but thought there must be a reason why people do it?
"I love breathing clouds of diesel fumes as cars accelerate to overtake me whilst I am breathing deep on a climb, I love the way the cars nearly brush my elbows on passing, I love the verbal abuse off drivers, I love the fact that drivers don't see me at junctions" ....... Etc etc
Why the hell do you guys do it? Is it to emulate the TDF riders who have the privilege of closed roads?

MTB, why? Abused by walkers and horse riders, get covered in shit, average about 10mph, rear mechs get snapped off with random sticks and the list goes on.

Back